Jack Frost is so treacly and fake it makes you feel like you’re trapped in a winter-wonderland paperweight. Michael Keaton, who deserves a much better movie, plays Jack Frost, a small-town Colorado bar-band singer who goes on the road for a Christmas gig and dies in an accident, leaving behind his wife (Kelly Preston) and teenage son (Joseph Cross). A year later, he returns to life as a blustery, wisecracking snowman who looks like a cross between the Pillsbury Doughboy and Lionel Barrymore. This slapdash comic fantasy wants to be a Spielbergian fairy tale — E.T. with attitude — but it gives you nothing to respond to but the special effects, which turn Jack the snowman joker into a dancing, toboggan riding, supple-bodied special pal. That the character seems more than a little demented is evidently lost on the filmmakers; he looks like he could just as well have been an icicle-wielding serial killer (similar to last year’s straight-to-video Jack Frost). To establish that the film isn’t just for kiddies, Keaton sings urgently bad ’70s-style blues-rock tunes and periodically breaks into a low-down ”black” dialect. As a hero, Jack may be made of snow, but he is most definitely uncool. D+
Jack Frost Jack Frost is so treacly and fake it makes you feel like you're trapped in a winter-wonderland paperweight. Michael Keaton, who...Jack FrostSci-fi and Fantasy, DramaMark Steven JohnsonPG Jack Frost is so treacly and fake it makes you feel like you're trapped in a winter-wonderland paperweight. Michael Keaton, who...2007-07-25Joseph CrossWarner Bros.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Drama; Starring: Michael Keaton, Kelly Preston, Joseph Cross; Director: Troy Miller; Author: Mark Steven Johnson; Release Date Wide: 12/11/1998; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted July 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NeNe Leakes is leaving 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- First look at the new 'Ghostbusters' uniforms
- Big Sean's 'Play No Games' video is a spot-on parody of 'Martin'
- Floyd Mayweather, Katy Perry top Forbes' Celebrity 100 list
- Vertigo comic book movies headed to New Line
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!