Set in the years surrounding the Great Sioux Wars in 19th-century Minnesota, Thomas Maltman’s debut novel The Night Birds weaves together the stories of three generations of a German-American family attempting to survive in the prairies alongside a tribe of Dakota Indians. The neighbors’ tentative truce allows for an exchange of languages and ideas, but as the tension between the two cultures escalates to violence, both sides are forced to choose between compassion and self-preservation. The intercut storylines meander between captivity tale and bildungsroman, but Maltman’s writing is most lucid when he explores the German folklore, Dakota mysticism, and pioneer spirituality that shape his characters’ understanding of their own harsh world. B-
The Night BirdsSet in the years surrounding the Great Sioux Wars in 19th-century Minnesota, Thomas Maltman's debut novel The Night Birds weaves together...The Night BirdsHistory, FictionThomas MaltmanSet in the years surrounding the Great Sioux Wars in 19th-century Minnesota, Thomas Maltman's debut novel The Night Birds weaves together...2007-07-30Soho Press
Genre: History, Fiction; Author: Thomas Maltman; Publisher: Soho Press
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!