Set in the years surrounding the Great Sioux Wars in 19th-century Minnesota, Thomas Maltman’s debut novel The Night Birds weaves together the stories of three generations of a German-American family attempting to survive in the prairies alongside a tribe of Dakota Indians. The neighbors’ tentative truce allows for an exchange of languages and ideas, but as the tension between the two cultures escalates to violence, both sides are forced to choose between compassion and self-preservation. The intercut storylines meander between captivity tale and bildungsroman, but Maltman’s writing is most lucid when he explores the German folklore, Dakota mysticism, and pioneer spirituality that shape his characters’ understanding of their own harsh world. B-
The Night BirdsSet in the years surrounding the Great Sioux Wars in 19th-century Minnesota, Thomas Maltman's debut novel The Night Birds weaves together...The Night BirdsHistory, FictionThomas MaltmanSet in the years surrounding the Great Sioux Wars in 19th-century Minnesota, Thomas Maltman's debut novel The Night Birds weaves together...2007-07-30Soho Press
Genre: History, Fiction; Author: Thomas Maltman; Publisher: Soho Press
Posted July 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!