”One of my favorite scenes is in Hairspray, where I say, ‘Devil child! Devil child!’ when I shake the holy water at my daughter [Amanda Bynes] because she has been harboring Tracy in our basement locker. We had tried several different lines and it was totally an ad-lib that Adam [Shankman, the director] loved. As soon as I said it, I thought it’d be an extra-special touch to use one of those things that priests use to shake the holy water out on someone. When you are in small parts like this, you have to do something to stand out. I am competing with John Travolta in a dress and a female fat suit — I had to do something.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!