In the preface to this tribute, Mary Gordon admits, ”I came to realize that I couldn’t see my mother properly by standing in one place, by standing still.” Instead, she ponders her mother Anna’s life from multiple perspectives, dividing it neatly into chapters such as ”My Mother and Her Bosses,” ”My Mother and Her Sisters,” and ”My Mother and the Great World.” In Circling My Mother, Gordon provides flashes of Anna in her more vibrant days before alcoholism and dementia set in: working overtime as a law firm secretary, attending church retreats, seeing Gigi at NYC’s Radio City. But too often extraneous details — like a history lesson on her preferred perfume or the life story of a favorite priest — overwhelm Anna’s tale, leaving her frustratingly elusive. C+
Circling My MotherIn the preface to this tribute, Mary Gordon admits, ''I came to realize that I couldn't see my mother properly by standing in one place, by standing still...Circling My MotherMemoir, NonfictionMary GordonIn the preface to this tribute, Mary Gordon admits, ''I came to realize that I couldn't see my mother properly by standing in one place, by standing still...2007-08-06Pantheon
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: Mary Gordon; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted August 6 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!