In Once Upon a Quinceañera, Julia Alvarez bolsters her look at the quinceañera — a coming-of-age celebration for Latina girls when they turn 15 — with reflections on her own girlhood in 1960s NYC. She tracks how the tradition has bent to Americanization and commercialization, offering colorful reporting from a contemporary quinceañera in Queens (where Disney characters inspired the celebrant’s court) and interviews with those in the multimillion-dollar industry (a third-generation party photographer in Miami stands out). Alvarez’s honest grappling with her caught-between-two-cultures experience is compelling, even when the book’s My Super Sweet 16 aspects start to grate. B
Once Upon a QuinceañeraIn Once Upon a Quinceañera, Julia Alvarez bolsters her look at the quinceañera — a coming-of-age celebration for...Once Upon a QuinceañeraKids and Family, NonfictionJulia AlvarezIn Once Upon a Quinceañera, Julia Alvarez bolsters her look at the quinceañera — a coming-of-age celebration for...2007-08-06Viking
Genre: Kids and Family, Nonfiction; Author: Julia Alvarez; Publisher: Viking
Posted August 6 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!