Unlike the drill-sergeant antics on Fox’s Hell's Kitchen, on season 3 of Top Chef the food always looks mouthwatering; Judge Tom Colicchio is an exemplary combination of talent, constructiveness, and high standards; and not a morsel of entertainment value is wasted. Like most Bravo competition shows, Top Chef proceeds from the premise that there is fun in putting a group of exceptionally skilled and ambitious people together and pushing them to do their best. It might not sound like much fun to eavesdrop on a bunch of talented prima donnas throwing down over sloppy knife work and the deployment of flavored foams, but it’s much more exciting (and appetite-whetting) than the Hell’s Kitchen alternative of watching a bunch of doofuses get reamed for burning the rice. The food looks better on Top Chef, and so does the production; there isn’t nearly as much TV-for-dummies editing as on Hell’s Kitchen — you know, in case your mind wandered during the commercial, here’s a whole minute that you just saw again. That’s filler — TV’s version of Hamburger Helper. And real cooking shows don’t use it. In my dream reality series, the best of Top Chef’s contestants would go burner to burner with Ramsay. I suspect they’d make sushi out of him. And still make it look good enough to eat. A-
Genre: Reality TV; Lead Performer: Tom Colicchio, Padma Lakshmi, Gail Simmons; Broadcaster: Bravo; Status: On Hiatus; Seasons: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser: Watch now
- 'The Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Nick Jonas talks hosting the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, his new image and that Kanye West cover
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!