Now that testosterone-drenched movie comedies featuring the Judd Apatow gang (Seth Rogen in Knocked Up, Jonah Hill in Superbad) and the Frat Pack (Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Luke and Owen Wilson, et al) are ubiquitous, it’s worth asking: where are the comedies built around funny women? (Warning: link contains some NSFW language.) That’s the question posed by this article in SirensMag (an online women’s magazine co-edited by EW’s own Jennifer Armstrong), which lists Wanda Sykes, Amy Sedaris, Amy Poehler, Bonnie Hunt, Judy Greer, and Aisha Tyler (pictured) as women who should be starring in their own movie and TV comedies. I agree on all counts, especially Tyler, who seems to be the most underutilized of the bunch. (Greer, the article acknowledges, actually is getting her own TV vehicle, Miss/Guided, during the coming season.) Poehler does get to shine as one of SNL’s MVPs, and Sedaris starred in both the TV and film versions of Strangers With Candy (though it’s surely time for her to retire Jerri Blank), but the others are often stuck in second-banana land. I’d add Sarah Silverman and Poehler’s SNL costar Kristin Wiig to the SirensMag list, though at least Silverman got her own series on Comedy Central earlier this year. Which other funny females belong on the list, and what sort of projects would you like to see them take on?
Posted January 18 2015 — 7:47 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More