Now that testosterone-drenched movie comedies featuring the Judd Apatow gang (Seth Rogen in Knocked Up, Jonah Hill in Superbad) and the Frat Pack (Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Luke and Owen Wilson, et al) are ubiquitous, it’s worth asking: where are the comedies built around funny women? (Warning: link contains some NSFW language.) That’s the question posed by this article in SirensMag (an online women’s magazine co-edited by EW’s own Jennifer Armstrong), which lists Wanda Sykes, Amy Sedaris, Amy Poehler, Bonnie Hunt, Judy Greer, and Aisha Tyler (pictured) as women who should be starring in their own movie and TV comedies. I agree on all counts, especially Tyler, who seems to be the most underutilized of the bunch. (Greer, the article acknowledges, actually is getting her own TV vehicle, Miss/Guided, during the coming season.) Poehler does get to shine as one of SNL’s MVPs, and Sedaris starred in both the TV and film versions of Strangers With Candy (though it’s surely time for her to retire Jerri Blank), but the others are often stuck in second-banana land. I’d add Sarah Silverman and Poehler’s SNL costar Kristin Wiig to the SirensMag list, though at least Silverman got her own series on Comedy Central earlier this year. Which other funny females belong on the list, and what sort of projects would you like to see them take on?
Posted August 8 2007 — 10:00 AM EDT
- Scott Van Pelt on new midnight 'SportsCenter'
- See an exclusive clip from bonkers Italian horror movie spoof 'The Editor'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star James Pickens Jr. joins Twitter
- Telluride Film Festival lineup announced
- Shonda Rhimes & Viola Davis look back on that 'angry black woman' piece
- Sienna Miller's role was cut from 'Black Mass'
- Phantogram's Sarah Barthel explains her rad guest spot on Miley Cyrus' surprise album
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!