If Ryan Gosling isn’t careful, he’s going to become a star. In Fracture, a bit of cinematic legal hokum, the Oscar nominee (Half Nelson) adopts the usual arrogance of a Dashing Legal Genius, but he imbues his ambitious DA with a nonchalance that oddly enhances his charm. As his case against an accused wife-killer (Anthony Hopkins) crumbles, his rebuttals aren’t eloquent speeches, but sputtering exasperation. How human. EXTRAS Deleted scenes and alternate endings reveal Gosling’s character’s tragic upbringing. Better to read it in his face than in the script. B
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Ryan Gosling, Anthony Hopkins, Embeth Davidtz, Rosamund Pike, David Strathairn; Director: Greg Hoblit; Author: Daniel Pyne; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted August 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!