If Ryan Gosling isn’t careful, he’s going to become a star. In Fracture, a bit of cinematic legal hokum, the Oscar nominee (Half Nelson) adopts the usual arrogance of a Dashing Legal Genius, but he imbues his ambitious DA with a nonchalance that oddly enhances his charm. As his case against an accused wife-killer (Anthony Hopkins) crumbles, his rebuttals aren’t eloquent speeches, but sputtering exasperation. How human. EXTRAS Deleted scenes and alternate endings reveal Gosling’s character’s tragic upbringing. Better to read it in his face than in the script. B
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Ryan Gosling, Anthony Hopkins, Embeth Davidtz, Rosamund Pike, David Strathairn; Director: Greg Hoblit; Author: Daniel Pyne; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted August 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Christopher returns! David Sutcliffe joins 'Gilmore Girls' revival
- Check out these cool new Mondo posters for 'Deadpool'
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' producers charged over Harrison Ford on-set accident
- 'Outlander': Learn more about Claire's stylish future (and that red dress!)
- See the exclusive first trailer for Will Arnett's new Netflix show 'Flaked'
- Brandy teases new music: 'An album is definitely in the works'
- Exclusive 'Walking Dead' reunion of deceased characters
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs