If Ryan Gosling isn’t careful, he’s going to become a star. In Fracture, a bit of cinematic legal hokum, the Oscar nominee (Half Nelson) adopts the usual arrogance of a Dashing Legal Genius, but he imbues his ambitious DA with a nonchalance that oddly enhances his charm. As his case against an accused wife-killer (Anthony Hopkins) crumbles, his rebuttals aren’t eloquent speeches, but sputtering exasperation. How human. EXTRAS Deleted scenes and alternate endings reveal Gosling’s character’s tragic upbringing. Better to read it in his face than in the script. B
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Ryan Gosling, Anthony Hopkins, Embeth Davidtz, Rosamund Pike, David Strathairn; Director: Greg Hoblit; Author: Daniel Pyne; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted August 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Justin Bieber sets Spotify record with 'What Do You Mean?'
- Exclusive 'A Christmas Horror Story' trailer promises shocks, scares, and Shatner
- See Simon Cowell get emotional during an 'X Factor' audition
- Box office preview: Sleepy Labor Day to quietly close out the summer
- 'Mr. Robot' had a perfect season on Rotten Tomatoes
- First Look: See Rob Riggle as 'Gator Dan' on 'Fresh Off the Boat'
- Netflix renews 'Narcos' for season 2
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!