If Ryan Gosling isn’t careful, he’s going to become a star. In Fracture, a bit of cinematic legal hokum, the Oscar nominee (Half Nelson) adopts the usual arrogance of a Dashing Legal Genius, but he imbues his ambitious DA with a nonchalance that oddly enhances his charm. As his case against an accused wife-killer (Anthony Hopkins) crumbles, his rebuttals aren’t eloquent speeches, but sputtering exasperation. How human. EXTRAS Deleted scenes and alternate endings reveal Gosling’s character’s tragic upbringing. Better to read it in his face than in the script. B
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Ryan Gosling, Anthony Hopkins, Embeth Davidtz, Rosamund Pike, David Strathairn; Director: Greg Hoblit; Author: Daniel Pyne; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted August 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Demi Lovato explains how she's like Nicki Minaj & Rihanna
- John Oliver: 'It's hard to overstate' Jon Stewart's influence on my career
- Watch Drake and LeBron James (almost) play kickball
- Simon Kinberg defends 'Fantastic 4': 'It’s not a disaster'
- Fall Out Boy, The Black Keys, and more are coming to 'Rock Band 4'
- EWwy Awards 2015: Sam Heughan, Andrew Lincoln face off
- Selena Gomez plays the villain in 'Bad Blood' behind-the-scenes clip