If Ryan Gosling isn’t careful, he’s going to become a star. In Fracture, a bit of cinematic legal hokum, the Oscar nominee (Half Nelson) adopts the usual arrogance of a Dashing Legal Genius, but he imbues his ambitious DA with a nonchalance that oddly enhances his charm. As his case against an accused wife-killer (Anthony Hopkins) crumbles, his rebuttals aren’t eloquent speeches, but sputtering exasperation. How human. EXTRAS Deleted scenes and alternate endings reveal Gosling’s character’s tragic upbringing. Better to read it in his face than in the script. B
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Ryan Gosling, Anthony Hopkins, Embeth Davidtz, Rosamund Pike, David Strathairn; Director: Greg Hoblit; Author: Daniel Pyne; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted August 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Katy Perry's Left Shark returns for Shark Week
- Joni Mitchell's attorney recomments permanent conservator
- Can’t Buy Me Love actress Amanda Peterson remembered by her mother
- Robert De Niro's 'The Comedian' finds a new director
- Who should play the young Han Solo in the 'Star Wars' spinoff? Vote now!
- Elodie Yung cast as Elektra in 'Daredevil' season 2
- Two more networks pull Bill Cosby reruns
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!