Fred Dekker’s 1987 horror comedy is, like totally, the ultimate ’80s movie. An agreeably goofy, Little Rascals-meets-The Goonies time passer, the movie is proudly anti-CGI (with effects styled by ’80s FX guru Richard Edlund), montage-laden with a song by none other than Michael Sembello (”Maniac”), and peppered with schoolyard insults like ”faggot” and ”homo” that were all the rage in this era before political correctness seeped into American cinematic consciousness. The Monster Squad is far from an ideal picture: The editing is often crude, the jokes occasionally deflate like an inner tube, and visually it’s not on par with the films of Steven Spielberg or Richard Donner to which it owes so much. But this loaded two-disc set is a definitive treat. Among the many EXTRAS are two commentaries — one by writer-director Dekker and some of his young cast, who cheerfully point out the film’s inconsistencies and tweak that aforementioned silly-catchy Sembello song (”Rock until you drop/Dance until your feet fall off”), and another by Dekker and director of photography Bradford May that unapologetically calls out executive producer Peter Hyams (2010) for contributing to the movie’s uneven tone. Best of all is the exceptional, multipart documentary Monster Squad Forever, which runs longer than the 82-minute feature and is twice as good, highlighting every aspect of this movie’s existence, from Dekker’s early career and affinity for Universal horror flicks of the ’30s and ’40s, to the cast’s memories (Tom Noonan’s semi-surly, what-me-worry interview takes are positively hilarious), all the way to its recent addition to the cult-film canon, embodied in its sold-out midnight screenings in Austin’s Alamo Drafthouse. A-
The Monster Squad (Two-Disc 20th Anniversary Edition)Fred Dekker's 1987 horror comedy is, like totally, the ultimate '80s movie. An agreeably goofy, Little Rascals-meets-The Goonies time...The Monster Squad (Two-Disc 20th Anniversary Edition)Horror, ComedyFred DekkerPT82MPG-13Fred Dekker's 1987 horror comedy is, like totally, the ultimate '80s movie. An agreeably goofy, Little Rascals-meets-The Goonies time...2007-08-13
Genre: Horror, Comedy; Starring: Tom Noonan; Director: Fred Dekker; Author: Fred Dekker; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fantastic Four' cast says they still haven't seen the film
- Candace Cameron Bure shares new 'Fuller House' photo
- 'Deadpool' red band trailer to officially debut Tuesday on 'Conan'
- Dave Grohl responds in Italian to 1,000 fans who covered ‘Learn to Fly’
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First teaser for 'Zoolander 2' asks one big existential question
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!