Sometimes when you read literary journalism, you think, ”But how could the writer know his subject ‘blinked twice in rapid succession’? He wasn’t there!” That doesn’t happen with Mike Sager’s work. In Revenge of the Donut Boys’ pieces, which are mostly from Esquire, Sager writes in convincingly novelistic detail and supple, pinpoint prose about the inner lives of a high school junior, a 92-year-old man, Slayer fans, swingers, struggling actors, Mike Ditka, and wildfire victims. The title piece is one of his best, the short true story of some car-stealing Newark kids. ”They’ll rustle up a car,” Sager writes, ”to drive to elementary school, in lieu of bus fare.”
Revenge of the Donut BoysSometimes when you read literary journalism, you think, ''But how could the writer know his subject 'blinked twice in rapid succession'? He wasn't there!'...Revenge of the Donut BoysNonfiction, Pop CultureMike SagerSometimes when you read literary journalism, you think, ''But how could the writer know his subject 'blinked twice in rapid succession'? He wasn't there!'...2007-08-13Thunder's Mouth Press
Genre: Nonfiction, Pop Culture; Author: Mike Sager; Publisher: Thunder's Mouth Press
Posted August 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Taylor Swift brought her 'Bad Blood' squad to the VMAs red carpet
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!