It’s been a while since we saw a demagogic feminist exploitation revenge drama, and Descent, while top-heavy with ”agenda,” is shrewdly done. Rosario Dawson goes deep into fear and loathing as Maya, a college student who gets date-raped by the creepily charismatic Jared — played by Chad Faust as a new screen type: an intellectual jock sociopath. Maya’s descent into druggy oblivion is too aimless, but the movie regains its intensity for her shocking payback — a scene that will give any liberal pause, if only to acknowledge the primal power of eye-for-an-eye justice.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Rosario Dawson, Chad Faust; Director: Talia Lugacy; Author: Talia Lugacy, Brian Priest; Release Date Limited: 08/10/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: NC-17; Distributor: City Lights
Posted August 15 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'
- New 'Star Wars' spot returns us to last year's teaser
- Uzo Aduba explains what it's like to perform alongside Taylor Swift
- Jimmy Fallon and Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary'
- James Corden: Don't deep-fry a turkey today
- Is there a 'Blacklist' baby on the way?