It’s been a while since we saw a demagogic feminist exploitation revenge drama, and Descent, while top-heavy with ”agenda,” is shrewdly done. Rosario Dawson goes deep into fear and loathing as Maya, a college student who gets date-raped by the creepily charismatic Jared — played by Chad Faust as a new screen type: an intellectual jock sociopath. Maya’s descent into druggy oblivion is too aimless, but the movie regains its intensity for her shocking payback — a scene that will give any liberal pause, if only to acknowledge the primal power of eye-for-an-eye justice.
DescentIt's been a while since we saw a demagogic feminist exploitation revenge drama, and Descent, while top-heavy with ''agenda,'' is shrewdly...DescentDrama, Mystery and ThrillerTalia Lugacy, Brian PriestPT103MNC-17It's been a while since we saw a demagogic feminist exploitation revenge drama, and Descent, while top-heavy with ''agenda,'' is shrewdly...2007-08-15City Lights
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Rosario Dawson, Chad Faust; Director: Talia Lugacy; Author: Talia Lugacy, Brian Priest; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: NC-17; Distributor: City Lights
Posted August 15 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt