It’s been a while since we saw a demagogic feminist exploitation revenge drama, and Descent, while top-heavy with ”agenda,” is shrewdly done. Rosario Dawson goes deep into fear and loathing as Maya, a college student who gets date-raped by the creepily charismatic Jared — played by Chad Faust as a new screen type: an intellectual jock sociopath. Maya’s descent into druggy oblivion is too aimless, but the movie regains its intensity for her shocking payback — a scene that will give any liberal pause, if only to acknowledge the primal power of eye-for-an-eye justice.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Rosario Dawson, Chad Faust; Director: Talia Lugacy; Author: Talia Lugacy, Brian Priest; Release Date Limited: 08/10/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: NC-17; Distributor: City Lights
Posted August 15 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!