The French are artier about their schlock fright films than we are, and that isn’t necessarily a point against them — the horror genre could, by now, use a little frisson of pretension. But if you’re going to imply that a French couple being terrorized in a remote Romanian mansion adds up to something more than an arbitrary (and rather repetitive) don’t-go-in-the-basement thriller, then you’d better deliver the goods. And Them, despite some moody imagery out of the Blair Witch school, never does. The kicker, which is engineered to make us go ”Damn,” instead makes us go ”No way!”
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Horror; Starring: Olivia Bonamy, Michael Cohen, Adriana Moca; Director: David Moreau, Xavier Palud; Author: David Moreau, Xavier Palud; Runtime (in minutes): 78; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dark Sky Films
Posted August 15 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan make messy love in Amazon’s 'Catastrophe'
- How Walk the Moon scored a summer pop hit in 'Shut Up and Dance'
- Jason Segel's 'Nightmares!' sequel: Read an excerpt
- Archie Panjabi on Kalinda-Alicia 'Good Wife' goodbye
- Sam Shepard arrested on drunk driving charges
- Ransom Riggs talks 'Library of Souls,' reveals cover art
- Joni Mitchell discusses fame in unearthed 1986 interview
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!