The French are artier about their schlock fright films than we are, and that isn’t necessarily a point against them — the horror genre could, by now, use a little frisson of pretension. But if you’re going to imply that a French couple being terrorized in a remote Romanian mansion adds up to something more than an arbitrary (and rather repetitive) don’t-go-in-the-basement thriller, then you’d better deliver the goods. And Them, despite some moody imagery out of the Blair Witch school, never does. The kicker, which is engineered to make us go ”Damn,” instead makes us go ”No way!”
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Horror; Starring: Olivia Bonamy, Michael Cohen, Adriana Moca; Director: David Moreau, Xavier Palud; Author: David Moreau, Xavier Palud; Runtime (in minutes): 78; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dark Sky Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7M at weekend box office, second-best U.S. debut ever
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquiao fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' bosses on 'an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!