In Miss Piggy’s world, The Dark Crystal = Star Wars + The Hobbit. On a distant planet, two magical races created by the titular object are at war: cruel, buzzardy Skeksis and gentle, slothish Mystics. To end the conflict, a Gelfling named Jen undertakes a heroic quest to fix the cracked gem. LEGACY Codirected with Frank Oz, Henson’s wonderfully weird film casts a convincing spell as an all-Muppet affair; like Tim Burton’s unabashedly artificial visions, you accept Crystal on its own idiosyncratic terms. B+
Posted August 17 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See a new teaser from Netflix's 'Jessica Jones'
- Taye Diggs on writing 'Mixed Me!' for his son: "He shouldn't have to explain himself to anyone"
- Francis Ford Coppola remembers 'Dracula,' firing his VFX crew, and Keanu Reeves' accent
- JoJo previews new album: 'I just want to represent a young woman who’s finding herself'
- Hear an audio clip of the gender-flipped 'Twilight' audiobook
- Bob Saget to join Hand to God on Broadway
- 13-year-old YouTube star died from 'undetected medical condition'