There’s a moment, early on in Illegal Tender, when Wilson (Rick Gonzalez), an entitled college whiz, follows his widowed mother (Wanda De Jesus) into the basement of their lush Connecticut manse, where she opens a safe and unloads a cache of guns. This is her secret: that they’ve been on the run for 20 years because of something his late father, a ”noble” drug dealer, did. For a second, the movie has the snap of a truly surprising thriller — like a Hispanic Kill Bill — about an aging lioness willing to kill to protect her cub. But then we go back to following the kid, who manages to both mope and strut along the path to manhood.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Wanda De Jesus, Rick Gonzalez, Dania Ramirez; Director: Franc Reyes; Author: Franc Reyes; Release Date Wide: 08/24/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted August 22 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hear Will Butler of Arcade Fire's solo debut 'Policy' on Spotify
- The full, uncensored studio version of Kanye's 'All Day' is finally here
- Mireille Enos is heading to Shondaland
- The EW Guide to Music Festival Season 2015
- AOL launches digital series 'Connected' on March 31
- 'Sound of Music' turns 50: Let's rank the Von Trapp children
- George Takei salutes Leonard Nimoy: 'the most human person I've ever met'