There’s a moment, early on in Illegal Tender, when Wilson (Rick Gonzalez), an entitled college whiz, follows his widowed mother (Wanda De Jesus) into the basement of their lush Connecticut manse, where she opens a safe and unloads a cache of guns. This is her secret: that they’ve been on the run for 20 years because of something his late father, a ”noble” drug dealer, did. For a second, the movie has the snap of a truly surprising thriller — like a Hispanic Kill Bill — about an aging lioness willing to kill to protect her cub. But then we go back to following the kid, who manages to both mope and strut along the path to manhood.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Wanda De Jesus, Rick Gonzalez, Dania Ramirez; Director: Franc Reyes; Author: Franc Reyes; Release Date Wide: 08/24/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted August 22 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Leonardo DiCaprio to play rock and roll innovator Sam Phillips
- 'Teen Wolf' cast added to EW PopFest lineup
- Donald Glover to play young Lando Calrissian in Han Solo movie
- Documentary sequel 'You've Been Trumped, Too' to be released next week
- 'Big Brother' contestants invade 'Bold and the Beautiful'
- ‘Justice League’ director celebrates Wonder Woman with new photo
- Bill Murray crashes White House press briefing to talk Cubs baseball