There’s a moment, early on in Illegal Tender, when Wilson (Rick Gonzalez), an entitled college whiz, follows his widowed mother (Wanda De Jesus) into the basement of their lush Connecticut manse, where she opens a safe and unloads a cache of guns. This is her secret: that they’ve been on the run for 20 years because of something his late father, a ”noble” drug dealer, did. For a second, the movie has the snap of a truly surprising thriller — like a Hispanic Kill Bill — about an aging lioness willing to kill to protect her cub. But then we go back to following the kid, who manages to both mope and strut along the path to manhood.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Wanda De Jesus, Rick Gonzalez, Dania Ramirez; Director: Franc Reyes; Author: Franc Reyes; Release Date Wide: 08/24/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted August 22 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New honest trailer points out how 'Minions' is kind of like 'Joey'
- Digital stars call for YouTube to delete Sam Pepper's channel
- Fox responds to reports of bear rape in 'The Revenant'
- 'Scream Queens' exclusive: Black Friday gets bloody
- Sara Bareilles' 'Waitress' makes history with all-female creative team
- Paramount sets digital dates for 'Scouts Guide,' 'Paranormal Activity' under flexible release plan
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: J.J. Abrams decodes 'Star Wars' cast photo