If the words ”based on a semiautobiographical first novel” don’t send chills up your spine, how about ”adapted for the screen and directed by the author”? Whatever you’re imagining — self-serving self-awareness; unedited hipster mopes; yammering dear-diary script — The Hottest State, Ethan Hawke’s bathetic tale of a good-looking young actor’s first heartbreak, is far worse. Everything about the Hawke avatar William (Mark Webber) is utterly jejune and generic, including his issues with Daddy (Hawke himself, completing the film’s journey up its own keister).
(Macall B. Polay)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Catalina Sandino Moreno, Mark Webber, Ethan Hawke, Laura Linney; Director: Ethan Hawke; Author: Ethan Hawke; Release Date Limited: 08/24/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted August 29 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Taylor Swift is really, really excited for the 'Wildest Dreams' music video debut
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart almost joined Taylor Swift on tour
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Caitlyn Jenner on the realities of dating as a transgender woman
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!