There are few cinematic crimes more heinous than making a boring action movie. Sadly, that’s what the first hour of Triads-versus-Yakuza thriller War is. We watch, idly, as Jason Statham’s dour, fuzzy FBI agent tracks the mysterious hitman (Jet Li) who killed his best friend and his family. And just as you think to yourself, ”This flick would be way better if it had Van Damme playing twins,” along comes a plot twist so ingenious that it almost redeems the rest of the flick. In fact, you kinda feel bad for the twist itself, which deserved a better home.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Jet Li, Jason Statham; Director: Phillip Atwell; Author: Gregory J. Bradley, Lee Anthony Smith; Release Date Wide: 08/24/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted August 29 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Dark Knight' video essay explores Heath Ledger's Joker
- Daisy Ridley says next 'Star Wars' title won't be revealed for a while
- Emily Blunt shares Julie Andrews' reaction to her Mary Poppins casting
- Kevin Smith recalls awkward text exchange with daughter
- ‘The Goldbergs’ enlists ‘The Office’ alum for ‘Brady Bunch’ episode
- Britney Spears says Carpool Karaoke was 'fun,' 'awkward'
- MTV VMAs: The most memorable performances