There are few cinematic crimes more heinous than making a boring action movie. Sadly, that’s what the first hour of Triads-versus-Yakuza thriller War is. We watch, idly, as Jason Statham’s dour, fuzzy FBI agent tracks the mysterious hitman (Jet Li) who killed his best friend and his family. And just as you think to yourself, ”This flick would be way better if it had Van Damme playing twins,” along comes a plot twist so ingenious that it almost redeems the rest of the flick. In fact, you kinda feel bad for the twist itself, which deserved a better home.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Jet Li, Jason Statham; Director: Phillip Atwell; Author: Gregory J. Bradley, Lee Anthony Smith; Release Date Wide: 08/24/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted August 29 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Tom Cruise, Jude Law compare on-set underwater breath-holding stories
- 'Deadpool 2' loses director Tim Miller
- Steve Dillon, 'Preacher' comic book artist and co-creator, dies
- Adam Levine responds to sick teen's heartwarming Maroon 5 cover
- Tom Cruise addresses 'Top Gun 2' rumors: 'We're trying to figure it out'
- 'The Late Show': Stephen Colbert 'takes it to the streets' for interviews with New Yorkers
- Why David Lynch's 'Eraserhead' is the perfect Halloween movie