A few years ago, a comedy like Mr. Woodcock — in which a self-help author (Seann William Scott) tries to help his mom (Susan Sarandon) realize that her new fiancé (Billy Bob Thornton), the wicked gym teacher of the title, is the scum of the earth — would’ve played fine. Uninspired, sure, but sporadically, spasmodically funny. But in this post-Apatow-the-arrested-development-genius world, it can’t compete. The only thing worth watching is Sarandon, popping in from a classier reality. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Seann William Scott, Billy Bob Thornton; Director: Craig Gillespie; Author: Michael Carnes, Josh Gilbert; Release Date Wide: 09/14/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted September 12 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!