A few years ago, a comedy like Mr. Woodcock — in which a self-help author (Seann William Scott) tries to help his mom (Susan Sarandon) realize that her new fiancé (Billy Bob Thornton), the wicked gym teacher of the title, is the scum of the earth — would’ve played fine. Uninspired, sure, but sporadically, spasmodically funny. But in this post-Apatow-the-arrested-development-genius world, it can’t compete. The only thing worth watching is Sarandon, popping in from a classier reality. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Seann William Scott, Billy Bob Thornton; Director: Craig Gillespie; Author: Michael Carnes, Josh Gilbert; Release Date Wide: 09/14/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted September 12 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wayne Coyne reveals details about the Flaming Lips' over-the-top tour with Miley Cyrus
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Behind Mark's surprising decision, and what's next
- The first 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer has arrived
- Adele performs 'Hello' with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and classroom instruments
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'
- Casting Net: Ryan Gosling eyed to play Neil Armstrong in biopic