A few years ago, a comedy like Mr. Woodcock — in which a self-help author (Seann William Scott) tries to help his mom (Susan Sarandon) realize that her new fiancé (Billy Bob Thornton), the wicked gym teacher of the title, is the scum of the earth — would’ve played fine. Uninspired, sure, but sporadically, spasmodically funny. But in this post-Apatow-the-arrested-development-genius world, it can’t compete. The only thing worth watching is Sarandon, popping in from a classier reality. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Seann William Scott, Billy Bob Thornton; Director: Craig Gillespie; Author: Michael Carnes, Josh Gilbert; Release Date Wide: 09/14/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted September 12 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony