A few years ago, a comedy like Mr. Woodcock — in which a self-help author (Seann William Scott) tries to help his mom (Susan Sarandon) realize that her new fiancé (Billy Bob Thornton), the wicked gym teacher of the title, is the scum of the earth — would’ve played fine. Uninspired, sure, but sporadically, spasmodically funny. But in this post-Apatow-the-arrested-development-genius world, it can’t compete. The only thing worth watching is Sarandon, popping in from a classier reality. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Seann William Scott, Billy Bob Thornton; Director: Craig Gillespie; Author: Michael Carnes, Josh Gilbert; Release Date Wide: 09/14/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!