What we’re told in Silk is that Michael Pitt personifies a French 19th-century silkworm merchant in love with his wife but obsessed with a mysterious woman he glimpses on business in Japan. What we see is a mopey fellow without the energy to comb his hair. As the wife with even less to do in this wan, generically pretty adaptation of Alessandro Baricco’s 1996 novel, Keira Knightley doles out dewy smiles to her costar like biscuit rewards. This leaves Alfred Molina, as Pitt’s boss, to try something — anything — to enliven the movie.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Keira Knightley, Michael Pitt, Alfred Molina, Koji Yakusho; Director: Francois Girard; Author: Francois Girard, Michael Golding; Release Date Limited: 09/14/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Picturehouse
Posted September 12 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Michael Jordan's 'Space Jam' uniform heading for auction
- Get lost in Hippo Campus' new tune 'The Halocline'
- Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift continued their VMAs love fest on Twitter
- Lena Dunham publishes first short story in newsletter's fiction issue
- Jewel moves forward by looking back on 'Picking Up The Pieces'
- Edgar Wright pays tribute to Wes Craven
- 'Concussion' trailer: Will Smith wants the NFL to tell the truth
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!