What we’re told in Silk is that Michael Pitt personifies a French 19th-century silkworm merchant in love with his wife but obsessed with a mysterious woman he glimpses on business in Japan. What we see is a mopey fellow without the energy to comb his hair. As the wife with even less to do in this wan, generically pretty adaptation of Alessandro Baricco’s 1996 novel, Keira Knightley doles out dewy smiles to her costar like biscuit rewards. This leaves Alfred Molina, as Pitt’s boss, to try something — anything — to enliven the movie.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Keira Knightley, Michael Pitt, Alfred Molina, Koji Yakusho; Director: Francois Girard; Author: Francois Girard, Michael Golding; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Picturehouse
Posted September 12 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!