What we’re told in Silk is that Michael Pitt personifies a French 19th-century silkworm merchant in love with his wife but obsessed with a mysterious woman he glimpses on business in Japan. What we see is a mopey fellow without the energy to comb his hair. As the wife with even less to do in this wan, generically pretty adaptation of Alessandro Baricco’s 1996 novel, Keira Knightley doles out dewy smiles to her costar like biscuit rewards. This leaves Alfred Molina, as Pitt’s boss, to try something — anything — to enliven the movie.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Keira Knightley, Michael Pitt, Alfred Molina, Koji Yakusho; Director: Francois Girard; Author: Francois Girard, Michael Golding; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Picturehouse
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Furious 7's James Wan to produce 'The Entity' remake
- Helen Mirren talks about her love of Vin Diesel on 'Late Night'
- Waka Flocka Flame to run for president
- Batman costume from 'Batman v Superman': Take a good look
- 'Furious 7' breaks box office records in China
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!