As Gary Hustwit’s perceptive documentary makes wittily clear, there’s nothing neutral about the unadorned, ubiquitous Helvetica typeface, brought forth upon the literate earth 50 years ago in a burst of modernist Swiss graphic design and now as common as the look of an IRS tax form. Some of the charming design mavens interviewed love the egalitarian simplicity of the letterforms; other type-y types hate the oppressive blandness. Even viewers who’ve never given a serif a second thought, though, are in for an exclamation point of joy from such a well-designed doc.
HelveticaAs Gary Hustwit's perceptive documentary makes wittily clear, there's nothing neutral about the unadorned, ubiquitous Helvetica typeface,...HelveticaDocumentaryPT80MUnratedAs Gary Hustwit's perceptive documentary makes wittily clear, there's nothing neutral about the unadorned, ubiquitous Helvetica typeface,...2007-09-19Plexifilm
Genre: Documentary; Director: Gary Hustwit; Release Date Limited: 09/12/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Plexifilm
Posted September 19 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!