As Gary Hustwit’s perceptive documentary makes wittily clear, there’s nothing neutral about the unadorned, ubiquitous Helvetica typeface, brought forth upon the literate earth 50 years ago in a burst of modernist Swiss graphic design and now as common as the look of an IRS tax form. Some of the charming design mavens interviewed love the egalitarian simplicity of the letterforms; other type-y types hate the oppressive blandness. Even viewers who’ve never given a serif a second thought, though, are in for an exclamation point of joy from such a well-designed doc.
HelveticaAs Gary Hustwit's perceptive documentary makes wittily clear, there's nothing neutral about the unadorned, ubiquitous Helvetica typeface,...HelveticaDocumentaryPT80MUnratedAs Gary Hustwit's perceptive documentary makes wittily clear, there's nothing neutral about the unadorned, ubiquitous Helvetica typeface,...2007-09-19Plexifilm
Genre: Documentary; Director: Gary Hustwit; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Plexifilm
Posted September 19 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!