There’s comfort to be had in the plot geometry of The Jane Austen Book Club, a photogenic adaptation of Karen Joy Fowler’s 2004 best-seller. Behold six Austen books, six book-club members who meet over the course of six months, six California lifestyle stories that echo the romantic dilemmas faced by Austen’s characters, and one chance to see The Devil Wears Prada’s Emily Blunt as a prissy high school French teacher who bugs the group with her airs. For a visual bonus, Hugh Dancy appears in bike shorts as the lone male Jane-ite.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Emily Blunt, Hugh Dancy, Maggie Grace, Jimmy Smits; Director: Robin Swicord; Author: Robin Swicord; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted September 19 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!