There’s comfort to be had in the plot geometry of The Jane Austen Book Club, a photogenic adaptation of Karen Joy Fowler’s 2004 best-seller. Behold six Austen books, six book-club members who meet over the course of six months, six California lifestyle stories that echo the romantic dilemmas faced by Austen’s characters, and one chance to see The Devil Wears Prada’s Emily Blunt as a prissy high school French teacher who bugs the group with her airs. For a visual bonus, Hugh Dancy appears in bike shorts as the lone male Jane-ite.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Emily Blunt, Hugh Dancy, Maggie Grace, Jimmy Smits; Director: Robin Swicord; Author: Robin Swicord; Release Date Limited: 09/21/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted September 19 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Science fiction-thriller 'Arrival' to open Fantastic Fest
- 'Scrubs' vet John C. McGinley battles demons in 'Stan Against Evil'
- 'The Girl on the Train': Why Paula Hawkins didn't write the screenplay
- R.E.M. to reissue 'Out of Time' for 25th anniversary
- 'Stranger Things' star sings Amy Winehouse in throwback video
- Katy Perry sends sympathy to 'Catfish' victim: 'My heart goes out to him'
- Kate Beckinsale stars in exclusive 'The Disappointments Room' photos