There’s comfort to be had in the plot geometry of The Jane Austen Book Club, a photogenic adaptation of Karen Joy Fowler’s 2004 best-seller. Behold six Austen books, six book-club members who meet over the course of six months, six California lifestyle stories that echo the romantic dilemmas faced by Austen’s characters, and one chance to see The Devil Wears Prada’s Emily Blunt as a prissy high school French teacher who bugs the group with her airs. For a visual bonus, Hugh Dancy appears in bike shorts as the lone male Jane-ite.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Emily Blunt, Hugh Dancy, Maggie Grace, Jimmy Smits; Director: Robin Swicord; Author: Robin Swicord; Release Date Limited: 09/21/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted September 19 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' still screams after 25 years
- A look back at the time 'Silence of the Lambs' won big at the Oscars
- Happy Valentine's Day! Read highlights from Aziz Ansari's 'Modern Romance'
- 'The Walking Dead' showrunner previews introduction of the Hilltop
- Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' has finally arrived
- Jonah Hill to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features