She may have finished behind Taylor Hicks, KatharineMcPhee, and Paris Bennett during her sixth-place run on American Idol‘ssuper-competitive fifth season, but Kellie Pickler looks more and more like awinner with each track she releases from her debut disc, Small Town Girl.Pickler’s third single, “Things That Never Cross a Man’s Mind,” got ashout-out as a “Choice Cut” in the music section of this week’s issue of EW, so I decided to give it a listen myself. From the openingblast of guitars to that tinkling piano line, “… A Man’s Mind” is contagious fun, with cheeky lyrics (“These curtains clash with thecarpet/ The color scheme is a crime/ Things that never cross a man’smind”) that actually had me laughing out loud before I’d finished my firstDiet Dr. Pepper of the day (no small accomplishment). So what if her ill-fatedIdol rendition of “Unchained Melody” was as tuneful as test of theEmergency Broadcast System? When it comes time to leave the confines of realityTV and make a mark on the Billboard charts, personality counts — and Pickler’sgot it coming out her pores. But don’t take my word for it. I challenge hatersand fans alike to listen to the embedded version of “Things That NeverCross a Man’s Mind” and then give a thumbs up (or down) in the commentssection below.
Posted September 24 2007 — 3:20 PM EDT
- World Series: Cubs fans dress for 'Back to the Future'-style outcome
- Stanley Tucci explains why to vote using 'The Three Little Pigs'
- Mark Wahlberg's 'Patriots Day' to close AFI Fest
- Bill Murray shares adorable childhood photo proving his Chicago Cubs fandom
- 'Office Christmas Party' directors say film is 'life-affirming,' 'really f---ed up'
- 'La La Land': Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling dazzle in dreamy exclusive image
- David Beckham, Emma Stone, and Drake freak out in David Blaine promo