Marketed initially for the big screen as a horror film, from Exorcist director William Friedkin no less, Bug is actually a tragic love story about two broken people holed up in the lonely world of a motel room. Ashley Judd, in a raw, riveting performance, plays an Oklahoma barmaid who falls for a soldier (Michael Shannon) with schizophrenic delusions — the creepy-crawly kind. Their descent into paranoia bonds them in strangely beautiful fashion. EXTRAS Too much Friedkin, and not enough from the actors, whose stellar work is what burrows into the viewer’s head. A-
Genre: Drama, Horror, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon; Director: William Friedkin; Author: Tracy Letts; Release Date Wide: 05/25/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized: Report
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!