Marketed initially for the big screen as a horror film, from Exorcist director William Friedkin no less, Bug is actually a tragic love story about two broken people holed up in the lonely world of a motel room. Ashley Judd, in a raw, riveting performance, plays an Oklahoma barmaid who falls for a soldier (Michael Shannon) with schizophrenic delusions — the creepy-crawly kind. Their descent into paranoia bonds them in strangely beautiful fashion. EXTRAS Too much Friedkin, and not enough from the actors, whose stellar work is what burrows into the viewer’s head. A-
Genre: Drama, Horror, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon; Director: William Friedkin; Author: Tracy Letts; Release Date Wide: 05/25/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: R
Posted October 1 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- Katy Perry's Left Shark returns for Shark Week
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!