Marketed initially for the big screen as a horror film, from Exorcist director William Friedkin no less, Bug is actually a tragic love story about two broken people holed up in the lonely world of a motel room. Ashley Judd, in a raw, riveting performance, plays an Oklahoma barmaid who falls for a soldier (Michael Shannon) with schizophrenic delusions — the creepy-crawly kind. Their descent into paranoia bonds them in strangely beautiful fashion. EXTRAS Too much Friedkin, and not enough from the actors, whose stellar work is what burrows into the viewer’s head. A-
Genre: Drama, Horror, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon; Director: William Friedkin; Author: Tracy Letts; Release Date Wide: 05/25/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Watch Daft Punk's ode to Nile Rodgers from new documentary
- Jason Reitman hosting 'Mad Men' live read, finale screening
- Hear Barenaked Ladies' '90s alt-ballad 'Say What You Want'
- 'The Originals' star: Season 2 finale sets up 'a whole new show'
- Jenny Slate, Ari Graynor to star in FX road-trip comedy fro 'Obvious Child' team'
- D'Angelo announces U.S. dates for Second Coming tour
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner John Logan teases season 2's 'ferocious enemy'