The Worst Thing I’ve Ever Done, Ursula Hegi’s latest novel, would have made an excellent soap opera. After Annie’s parents die in a car crash the same day that she marries childhood sweetheart Mason, the newlyweds enlist playground friend Jake to raise Annie’s newborn sister together. This incestuous arrangement leads to further tragedy: Mason commits suicide in rebuttal against Annie’s straying affection. Hegi begins the novel during this grieving period, and relates the story in shifting viewpoints. What saves the proceedings from daytime sleaze is the intricacy of Hegi’s structure and her poetic writing (”clouds and blues in the sheer pearl-white of morning”). She warbles through raw emotion, reflection, and very grown-up wisdom. B
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!