The Worst Thing I’ve Ever Done, Ursula Hegi’s latest novel, would have made an excellent soap opera. After Annie’s parents die in a car crash the same day that she marries childhood sweetheart Mason, the newlyweds enlist playground friend Jake to raise Annie’s newborn sister together. This incestuous arrangement leads to further tragedy: Mason commits suicide in rebuttal against Annie’s straying affection. Hegi begins the novel during this grieving period, and relates the story in shifting viewpoints. What saves the proceedings from daytime sleaze is the intricacy of Hegi’s structure and her poetic writing (”clouds and blues in the sheer pearl-white of morning”). She warbles through raw emotion, reflection, and very grown-up wisdom. B
Posted October 1 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Frozen' holiday special to air on ABC in 2017
- Ben Stiller, Penélope Cruz strut on 'Zoolander 2' premiere's red-carpet runway
- Gwen Stefani shares track list for third solo album
- 'The Flash': 13 most shocking moments from Team Flash's trip to Earth-2
- Kanye West: ‘Bill Cosby innocent'
- Natalie Portman, Nicholas Hoult cast in 'The Death and Life of John F. Donovan'
- Johnny Depp to star in 'The Invisible Man' for Universal