Who said that an environmental horror film couldn’t be didactic and spooky at the same time? In The Last Winter, Larry Fessenden’s B-movie Arctic chiller (it’s like the 1951 The Thing with more ethereal demons), life slowly unravels for a team of oil-company workers who are out to establish an Alaskan drilling station. Are the mishaps merely accidents? Or is the tundra, unfrozen by global warming, taking its vengeance? Die-hard greenies may find this as unsettling as it’s meant to be. For everyone else, it’s closer to an atmospheric act of recycling. B
(Fridrik Örn Hjaltested)
Genre: Horror, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: James LeGros, Ron Perlman, Connie Britton; Director: Larry Fessenden; Author: Larry Fessenden, Robert Leaver; Release Date Limited: 09/19/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: IFC First Take
Posted October 10 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jessica Chastain in talks to join Jake Gyllenhaal's 'The Division'
- Elizabeth Banks compares Donald Trump to 'Hunger Games' character
- Oprah Winfrey to reunite with Ava DuVernay on 'A Wrinkle in Time'
- Lauren Conrad teases new secrets revealed upcoming The Hills special
- 'Hands of Stone': Roberto Durán earns his nickname in new clip
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' alums Clay Aiken, Khloe Kardashian slam Donald Trump
- Hillary Clinton is officially the Democratic nominee for president