Who said that an environmental horror film couldn’t be didactic and spooky at the same time? In The Last Winter, Larry Fessenden’s B-movie Arctic chiller (it’s like the 1951 The Thing with more ethereal demons), life slowly unravels for a team of oil-company workers who are out to establish an Alaskan drilling station. Are the mishaps merely accidents? Or is the tundra, unfrozen by global warming, taking its vengeance? Die-hard greenies may find this as unsettling as it’s meant to be. For everyone else, it’s closer to an atmospheric act of recycling. B
(Fridrik Örn Hjaltested)
Genre: Horror, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: James LeGros, Ron Perlman, Connie Britton; Director: Larry Fessenden; Author: Larry Fessenden, Robert Leaver; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: IFC First Take
Posted October 10 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' creators on the movie, the prequel, and... another sequel?
- Ivan Reitman releases statement on 'Ghostbusters' franchise
- Xena: Warrior Princess stars reunite on Instagram
- 'The Good Wife's Archie Panjabi to guest-star on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- John Green defends Cara Delevingne after infamous interview
- Joy Behar turned down an offer to return to 'The View'
- Valerie Harper hospitalized before performance in Maine
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!