Who said that an environmental horror film couldn’t be didactic and spooky at the same time? In The Last Winter, Larry Fessenden’s B-movie Arctic chiller (it’s like the 1951 The Thing with more ethereal demons), life slowly unravels for a team of oil-company workers who are out to establish an Alaskan drilling station. Are the mishaps merely accidents? Or is the tundra, unfrozen by global warming, taking its vengeance? Die-hard greenies may find this as unsettling as it’s meant to be. For everyone else, it’s closer to an atmospheric act of recycling. B
(Fridrik Örn Hjaltested)
Genre: Horror, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: James LeGros, Ron Perlman, Connie Britton; Director: Larry Fessenden; Author: Larry Fessenden, Robert Leaver; Release Date Limited: 09/19/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: IFC First Take
Posted October 10 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream Queens' season 2 promo pics: The doctors (and nurses) are in
- Marvin Kaplan, 'Alice' and 'Top Cat' actor, dies at 89
- Kanye West's Saint Pablo Tour has a flying stage
- 'American Horror Story' teaser channels 'Children of the Corn'
- Mayim Bialik, Marcie Leeds recreate their 'Beaches' opening scene
- Demi Moore joins R-rated comedy 'Rock That Body'
- Reese Witherspoon is 'thinking about’ another 'Legally Blonde' sequel