The title Terror’s Advocate is both a statement of fact and a worrisome understatement in a documentary as slippery as its subject. Jacques Vergès is a French lawyer (un avocet) who prides himself on having defended some of the world’s Most Wanted, among them Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie, Holocaust denier Roger Garaudy, and the terrorist known as Carlos the Jackal. What sort of a man can summon so much sympathy for the devil? Vergès, now in his 80s, just smiles mysteriously, maddeningly, while filmmaker Barbet Schroeder offers up a rogues’ gallery of evildoers Vergès has known. B+
Genre: Documentary; Director: Barbet Schroeder; Runtime (in minutes): 132; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Netflix releases trailer for 'The Other One: The Long, Strange Trip of Bob Weir' documentary
- Samantha Bee debriefs about The Daily Show, her new TBS comedy, and her soul
- Lifetime launches initiative to promote women in the entertainment industry
- Khloe Kardashian confirms Kylie Jenner had some help with those plump lips
- 'Bones' preview: 'They could be executing an innocent man'
- Sony orders second season of 'Powers'
- 'I Am Big Bird' directors on how the film became a love story: Watch an exclusive clip
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!