The title Terror’s Advocate is both a statement of fact and a worrisome understatement in a documentary as slippery as its subject. Jacques Vergès is a French lawyer (un avocet) who prides himself on having defended some of the world’s Most Wanted, among them Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie, Holocaust denier Roger Garaudy, and the terrorist known as Carlos the Jackal. What sort of a man can summon so much sympathy for the devil? Vergès, now in his 80s, just smiles mysteriously, maddeningly, while filmmaker Barbet Schroeder offers up a rogues’ gallery of evildoers Vergès has known. B+
Genre: Documentary; Director: Barbet Schroeder; Release Date Limited: 10/12/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 132; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted October 10 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Fallon disses Chris Christie during sketch about Republican debate
- Taylor Swift announces next single, makes our 'dreams' come true
- Julie Andrews to direct production of 'My Fair Lady'
- Jon Stewart provides one last overview of the 2016 presidential race
- Meek Mill debuts new rap about Drake during latest tour stop
- NBC reveals newcomer playing Dorothy in 'The Wiz'
- 'Castle' bosses reveal Beckett’s new job