You know you’re on the set of a low-budget film when lunch means white-bread sandwiches and the stars’ names are duct-taped onto director’s chairs. ”It’s all expenses spared,” quips Gil Junger (10 Things I Hate About You), director of the straight-to-DVD flick Get Smarter: Bruce and Lloyd Out of Control, which hits shelves July 1, 2008 — just 10 days after Steve Carell’s secret-agent satire Get Smart bows in theaters. The story follows gadget geeks Bruce (Masi Oka) and Lloyd (Nate Torrence), who appear in the feature film, as they set off on their own adventure once Maxwell (Carell) and Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) leave for a separate mission. ”It’s on the same timeline,” explains Torrence. ”There are Get Smart scenes when you don’t see us — this is what we’re doing.” Junger hints that big stars from Smart pop up in Smarter: ”My goal is to raise the bar of what people expect from a direct-to-DVD movie. I want it to feel like a big feature. It just happened to be done on a budget.” Adds Oka: ”Get Smart can blow up a street corner. We can blow up a little telephone — and we can only do one take.”
Posted October 12 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Tom Cruise joins the world of gods and monsters in 'The Mummy' trailer
- 'Once Upon a Time': The hooded figure is revealed!
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- Vanessa Bayer shares backstage photos of Jennifer Aniston on 'SNL'
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big