The 2002 kidnapping and execution of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl shocked the world. Michael Winterbottom’s dramatization, A Mighty Heart, mercifully averts our eyes from Pearl’s grisly fate, but the decision to emphasize Pearl’s pregnant wife Mariane’s stoic vigil proves overly cautious. EXTRAS Heart could have benefited from the simmering tensions between Mariane and WSJ staff described in a making-of. Instead, the underwritten supporting cast seems resigned to reflect on Angelina Jolie’s performance, which she calls ”the most important thing I’ve done on film.” B-
Genre: War, Drama; Starring: Angelina Jolie, Dan Futterman, Irfan Khan; Director: Michael Winterbottom; Author: Laurence Coriat, Michael Winterbottom; Release Date Wide: 06/22/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Vantage
Posted October 15 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Schitt's Creek' cast describtes their show in 30 seconds
- 'Scream' bosses tease season 2: Who's the new killer?
- 'Game of Thrones': Red Wedding actor breaks silence on surprise return
- 'Game of Thrones' producer on the return of THAT character
- Madonna fires back at BET after Twitter diss: 'I will shade you'
- Here's how Mindy Kaling pranked B.J. Novak on 'The Office'
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros host vow renewal at N.C. show
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers