Four couples gather in a cabin to celebrate their cozy prosperity — until their lies are revealed. That’s when soaper Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? turns into The Big Chill by way of Jerry Springer. Perry is of the spell-everything-in-capital-letters and act-it-out-loudly schools. Yet his sensitivity to women is a tonic. Amid the shout-downs over adultery, male power, and the agony of coping with a child’s death, one performance glistens — Jill Scott’s as the sad, heavyset Sheila, who locates the faith that’s the source of love. B-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Janet Jackson, Tyler Perry, Jill Scott; Director: Tyler Perry; Author: Tyler Perry; Release Date Wide: 10/12/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 118; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 17 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Nicholas Brendon returning to 'The Dr. Phil Show'
- 'Straight Outta Compton' star O'Shea Jackson on the film's Oscar potential
- Ricki Lake and social influencers launch #TreatmentForAll in honor of World AIDS Day
- See Jill Scott's moving acceptance speech at the Soul Train Awards
- The brothers-in-law are back in the latest 'Ride Along 2' trailer
- Christopher McQuarrie to return for 'Mission: Impossible 6'
- 'Seinfeld' cast sends well-wishes to terminally ill fan