Four couples gather in a cabin to celebrate their cozy prosperity — until their lies are revealed. That’s when soaper Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? turns into The Big Chill by way of Jerry Springer. Perry is of the spell-everything-in-capital-letters and act-it-out-loudly schools. Yet his sensitivity to women is a tonic. Amid the shout-downs over adultery, male power, and the agony of coping with a child’s death, one performance glistens — Jill Scott’s as the sad, heavyset Sheila, who locates the faith that’s the source of love. B-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Janet Jackson, Tyler Perry, Jill Scott; Director: Tyler Perry; Author: Tyler Perry; Release Date Wide: 10/12/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 118; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 17 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the first trailer for 'The Mortal Instruments' TV series 'Shadowhunters'
- CBS orders murder mystery from Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television
- 'Agent Carter' casts Whitney Frost and more season 2 additions
- 9 things we learned about 'Elementary' season 4 at New York Comic-Con
- Three 6 Mafia rapper Koopsta Knicca dies at 40
- Loras Tyrell wants 'Mr. Robot' star Rami Malek on 'Game of Thrones'
- Don Cheadle meets Ewan McGregor in latest 'Miles Ahead' clip