Four couples gather in a cabin to celebrate their cozy prosperity — until their lies are revealed. That’s when soaper Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? turns into The Big Chill by way of Jerry Springer. Perry is of the spell-everything-in-capital-letters and act-it-out-loudly schools. Yet his sensitivity to women is a tonic. Amid the shout-downs over adultery, male power, and the agony of coping with a child’s death, one performance glistens — Jill Scott’s as the sad, heavyset Sheila, who locates the faith that’s the source of love. B-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Janet Jackson, Tyler Perry, Jill Scott; Director: Tyler Perry; Author: Tyler Perry; Release Date Wide: 10/12/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 118; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 17 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996