Four couples gather in a cabin to celebrate their cozy prosperity — until their lies are revealed. That’s when soaper Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? turns into The Big Chill by way of Jerry Springer. Perry is of the spell-everything-in-capital-letters and act-it-out-loudly schools. Yet his sensitivity to women is a tonic. Amid the shout-downs over adultery, male power, and the agony of coping with a child’s death, one performance glistens — Jill Scott’s as the sad, heavyset Sheila, who locates the faith that’s the source of love. B-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Janet Jackson, Tyler Perry, Jill Scott; Director: Tyler Perry; Author: Tyler Perry; Release Date Wide: 10/12/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 118; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 17 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Woody Allen says private life doesn't resonate in his films
- 'Law & Order' director arrested on child pornography charges
- 'Secret in Their Eyes' gets new release date
- 'Friends' creator: Those $1 million cast salaries were 'ridiculous'
- See a clip from Lifetime's 'The Unauthorized Full House Story'
- NatGeo announces 'Big Game of Thrones,' admits HBO won't let them keep title
- Bryan Cranston’s 'Sneaky Pete' pilot picked up by Amazon
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!