Four couples gather in a cabin to celebrate their cozy prosperity — until their lies are revealed. That’s when soaper Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? turns into The Big Chill by way of Jerry Springer. Perry is of the spell-everything-in-capital-letters and act-it-out-loudly schools. Yet his sensitivity to women is a tonic. Amid the shout-downs over adultery, male power, and the agony of coping with a child’s death, one performance glistens — Jill Scott’s as the sad, heavyset Sheila, who locates the faith that’s the source of love. B-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Janet Jackson, Tyler Perry, Jill Scott; Director: Tyler Perry; Author: Tyler Perry; Release Date Wide: 10/12/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 118; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 17 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- 'Tomorrowland' leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!