Mr. Brooks desperately wants to be taken seriously, but, like the title character, the film is in deep denial. So insistent on being a character study of a conflicted serial killer (Costner), it never elicits the kinds of tingles a competent thriller should, even during the otherwise tense scenes where an aspiring psycho (Dane Cook) blackmails Brooks for private lessons. EXTRAS In their earnest commentary, director Bruce A. Evans and co-writer Raynold Gideon cling to hopes for a Brooks trilogy, but a measly $28 million box office take makes that prospect DOA. C-
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Kevin Costner, Demi Moore, Dane Cook, William Hurt; Director: Bruce A. Evans; Author: Bruce A. Evans; Release Date Wide: 06/01/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted October 19 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'