Dennis (Bobby Coleman) is a weird kid who thinks he’s from Mars. David (John Cusack), a science-fiction writer/widower, adopts him anyway. The problem with Martian Child is that it wants to be a story about outcasts, but Dennis doesn’t come off as a cute little rebel. Hiding in boxes, speaking Martian, and stealing pictures of David’s dead wife, he comes off as mentally disturbed. Cusack, less guarded than usual, makes a few scenes connect; it’s not his fault the movie inadvertently turns you against the overindulgent parenting culture. C+
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Bobby Coleman, John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Joan Cusack, Oliver Platt; Director: Menno Meyjes; Author: Seth Bass, Jonathan Tolins; Release Date Wide: 11/02/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted October 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Watch Tom Bergeron discovers his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Darren Criss & Aaron Tveit duet 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent'
- Julian Seinfeld's lemonade stand shut down by the police
- J.K. Rowling applauds 'Harry Potter' stars' Twitter rivalry
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!