Dennis (Bobby Coleman) is a weird kid who thinks he’s from Mars. David (John Cusack), a science-fiction writer/widower, adopts him anyway. The problem with Martian Child is that it wants to be a story about outcasts, but Dennis doesn’t come off as a cute little rebel. Hiding in boxes, speaking Martian, and stealing pictures of David’s dead wife, he comes off as mentally disturbed. Cusack, less guarded than usual, makes a few scenes connect; it’s not his fault the movie inadvertently turns you against the overindulgent parenting culture. C+
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Bobby Coleman, John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Joan Cusack, Oliver Platt; Director: Menno Meyjes; Author: Seth Bass, Jonathan Tolins; Release Date Wide: 11/02/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted October 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal' stars are back to work on season 6
- Eva Longoria dings Donald Trump at DNC: 'My father is not a rapist'
- 'Bachelorette': Wells gives 'spirited' episode recap on Snapchat
- Michelle Obama hits back at Donald Trump in powerful DNC speech
- Shannen Doherty shares breast cancer update after shaving head
- Paul Simon performs 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' at DNC
- Sarah Silverman to Bernie Sanders holdouts: 'You're being ridiculous'
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels