Dennis (Bobby Coleman) is a weird kid who thinks he’s from Mars. David (John Cusack), a science-fiction writer/widower, adopts him anyway. The problem with Martian Child is that it wants to be a story about outcasts, but Dennis doesn’t come off as a cute little rebel. Hiding in boxes, speaking Martian, and stealing pictures of David’s dead wife, he comes off as mentally disturbed. Cusack, less guarded than usual, makes a few scenes connect; it’s not his fault the movie inadvertently turns you against the overindulgent parenting culture. C+
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Bobby Coleman, John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Joan Cusack, Oliver Platt; Director: Menno Meyjes; Author: Seth Bass, Jonathan Tolins; Release Date Wide: 11/02/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake thanks mom, wife, and everyone who called him 'different' accepting iHeart Radio's Innovator Award
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time' tells Maleficent's child's story
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!