Dennis (Bobby Coleman) is a weird kid who thinks he’s from Mars. David (John Cusack), a science-fiction writer/widower, adopts him anyway. The problem with Martian Child is that it wants to be a story about outcasts, but Dennis doesn’t come off as a cute little rebel. Hiding in boxes, speaking Martian, and stealing pictures of David’s dead wife, he comes off as mentally disturbed. Cusack, less guarded than usual, makes a few scenes connect; it’s not his fault the movie inadvertently turns you against the overindulgent parenting culture. C+
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Bobby Coleman, John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Joan Cusack, Oliver Platt; Director: Menno Meyjes; Author: Seth Bass, Jonathan Tolins; Release Date Wide: 11/02/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted October 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha': Who's buying it?
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!