Dennis (Bobby Coleman) is a weird kid who thinks he’s from Mars. David (John Cusack), a science-fiction writer/widower, adopts him anyway. The problem with Martian Child is that it wants to be a story about outcasts, but Dennis doesn’t come off as a cute little rebel. Hiding in boxes, speaking Martian, and stealing pictures of David’s dead wife, he comes off as mentally disturbed. Cusack, less guarded than usual, makes a few scenes connect; it’s not his fault the movie inadvertently turns you against the overindulgent parenting culture. C+
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Bobby Coleman, John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Joan Cusack, Oliver Platt; Director: Menno Meyjes; Author: Seth Bass, Jonathan Tolins; Release Date Wide: 11/02/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted October 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Vikings: Katheryn Winnick on Lagertha's season 3 plans
- The CW eyes Arrow-Flash spin-off with superhero team-up
- Fall 2015 TV pilots: Updated full list
- Kanye West tweets apologies to Beck and Bruno Mars
- 'Agents of SHIELD' unveils new poster art: Here's 'Aftershocks'
- Elizabeth Hurley gets slap happy in 'Royals' clip: First Look
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller Wake halts production due to lack of funding
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!