Dennis (Bobby Coleman) is a weird kid who thinks he’s from Mars. David (John Cusack), a science-fiction writer/widower, adopts him anyway. The problem with Martian Child is that it wants to be a story about outcasts, but Dennis doesn’t come off as a cute little rebel. Hiding in boxes, speaking Martian, and stealing pictures of David’s dead wife, he comes off as mentally disturbed. Cusack, less guarded than usual, makes a few scenes connect; it’s not his fault the movie inadvertently turns you against the overindulgent parenting culture. C+
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Bobby Coleman, John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Joan Cusack, Oliver Platt; Director: Menno Meyjes; Author: Seth Bass, Jonathan Tolins; Release Date Wide: 11/02/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted October 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- David Milch read Kim Dickens 'amazing' new 'Deadwood' scenes
- 'The Simpsons': Jason Alexander to guest in Trump-tweaking episode
- Laurie Hernandez's dad used to joke about her competing on 'DWTS'
- Stephen Colbert does his best Beyoncé in ridiculous VMAs parody
- 'Pretty Little Liars' poll: Who will die in the summer finale?
- How Kiiara struck 'Gold' with an unlikely pop smash
- Bitch Sesh: Casey Wilson, Danielle Schneider love these podcasts