The reports of torture porn’s demise may have been greatly exaggerated, but this fourth entry in the mutilate-yourself-or-die series joins what may be the worst genre of the decade: the lamely ”sympathetic” serial-killer backstory. The man behind Jigsaw, embodied by dour Tobin Bell, is dead, but there are flashbacks to how he became a psycho, and he haunts Saw IV with taped messages. He now imparts so many life lessons via his Rube Goldberg thresher devices that he’s starting to turn into the Rod Serling of severed body parts. Now that’s torture. D+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Angus MacFadyen; Director: Darren Bousman; Author: Marcus Dunstan, Patrick Melton; Release Date Wide: 10/26/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'