The reports of torture porn’s demise may have been greatly exaggerated, but this fourth entry in the mutilate-yourself-or-die series joins what may be the worst genre of the decade: the lamely ”sympathetic” serial-killer backstory. The man behind Jigsaw, embodied by dour Tobin Bell, is dead, but there are flashbacks to how he became a psycho, and he haunts Saw IV with taped messages. He now imparts so many life lessons via his Rube Goldberg thresher devices that he’s starting to turn into the Rod Serling of severed body parts. Now that’s torture. D+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Angus MacFadyen; Director: Darren Bousman; Author: Marcus Dunstan, Patrick Melton; Release Date Wide: 10/26/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal' stars are back to work on season 6
- Eva Longoria dings Donald Trump at DNC: 'My father is not a rapist'
- 'Bachelorette': Wells gives 'spirited' episode recap on Snapchat
- Michelle Obama hits back at Donald Trump in powerful DNC speech
- Shannen Doherty shares breast cancer update after shaving head
- Paul Simon performs 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' at DNC
- Sarah Silverman to Bernie Sanders holdouts: 'You're being ridiculous'
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels