The reports of torture porn’s demise may have been greatly exaggerated, but this fourth entry in the mutilate-yourself-or-die series joins what may be the worst genre of the decade: the lamely ”sympathetic” serial-killer backstory. The man behind Jigsaw, embodied by dour Tobin Bell, is dead, but there are flashbacks to how he became a psycho, and he haunts Saw IV with taped messages. He now imparts so many life lessons via his Rube Goldberg thresher devices that he’s starting to turn into the Rod Serling of severed body parts. Now that’s torture. D+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Angus MacFadyen; Director: Darren Bousman; Author: Marcus Dunstan, Patrick Melton; Release Date Wide: 10/26/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Jason Isaacs to play villain in Gore Verbinski's horror flick 'A Cure for Wellness'
- 'Stitchers' premiere recap: 'A Stitch in Time'
- Jay Rock shares introspective 'Money Trees Deuce'
- 'Entourage' becomes next victim of 'Honest Trailers' treatment
- See the new trailer for 'Paper Towns' right now
- Twisted Sister documentary acquired by Music Box Films
- Gillian Anderson-led 'Streetcar Named Desire' coming to New York