John Thorne would have relished the irony of Kraft cream cheese in an heirloom recipe found in Laura Schenone’s culinary memoir, The Lost Recipes of Hoboken. For Thorne, if a lowbrow product tastes good, screw ”authenticity.” As he did in four previous food books, in Mouth Wide Open Thorne weaves together autobiographical snippets with erudite ruminations on his weirdly compelling kitchen adventures, like, say, the invention of a cilantro sandwich. You may disagree with Thorne (”Your heart has to warm to a canned soup these days with a touch of lard in the formula”) and occasionally want to feed his book down the disposal. But you’ll fish it out again, for few contemporary food writers are this ornery and original. B+
Mouth Wide Open John Thorne would have relished the irony of Kraft cream cheese in an heirloom recipe found in Laura Schenone's culinary memoir, The Lost Recipes...Mouth Wide OpenMemoir, NonfictionJohn Thorne John Thorne would have relished the irony of Kraft cream cheese in an heirloom recipe found in Laura Schenone's culinary memoir, The Lost Recipes...2007-11-09North Point Press
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: John Thorne; Publisher: North Point Press
Posted November 9 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'You're the Worst' snags Echo Kellum in season 2
- President Obama documents his 'Running Wild' trip with Bear Grylls in selfies
- 'Are You The One?' season 3 trailer: See the new twist in action
- Theo Rossi joins 'Luke Cage' cast, Rosario Dawson will return as Claire Temple
- Garbage to reissue 20th anniversary edition of their debut album
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Bill Hader, and Jason Sudeikis to guest on 'Billy on the Street'
- 'Walking Dead' actor to guest on Fox's 'Minority Report'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!