Calling Paris the City of Love is one of the most wearisome clichés on earth. But in the 18 shorts that make up Paris, Je T’aime (R, 110 mins., 2007), a who’s who of international filmmakers twist, turn, and redefine that tired old notion, offering a fresh view of a modern metropolis filled with, oui, romance — but also loneliness, heartache, grief, and (thankfully) humor. In the Coen brothers’ hilariously manic segment, Steve Buscemi gets roughed up by a hooligan while waiting for the subway. (”We like beating Steve up,” Joel Coen explains in a featurette. ”We’ve done it many times.”) Horror master Wes Craven sets his snapshot, fittingly, in the famous Père-Lachaise cemetery, populating it not with ghouls, but rather a bourgeois couple (Emily Mortimer, Rufus Sewell) bickering at Oscar Wilde’s grave. In a cheeky twist, director Alexander Payne plays the dapper ghost of Wilde. But Payne’s true shining moment is his own short, in which a solitary American tourist (Margo Martindale) experiences a spiritual awakening over a baguette sandwich. It’s the movie’s final chapter, and it’s simply brilliant. EXTRAS Each short has its own behind-the-scenes featurette — much of which is recycled in the doc ”At the Heart of Paris, Je T’Aime.” On this two-disc, so-called collector’s edition, that sure feels like a cheat. B+
Genre: Romance; Starring: Steve Buscemi, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Gaspard Ulliel, Natalie Portman, Elijah Wood; Director: Olivier Assayas, Frederic Auburtin, Emmanuel Benbihy, Gurinder Chadha, Sylvain Chomet, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Isabel Coixet, Wes Craven, Alfonso Cuaron, Gerard Depardieu, Richard LaGravenese, Vincenzo Natali, Alexander Payne, Bruno Podalydes, Walter Salles, Oliver Schmitz, Nobuhiro Suwa, Daniela Thomas, Tom Tykwer, Gus Van Sant; Author: Emmanuel Benbihy; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Look
Posted November 9 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!