Calling Paris the City of Love is one of the most wearisome clichés on earth. But in the 18 shorts that make up Paris, Je T’aime (R, 110 mins., 2007), a who’s who of international filmmakers twist, turn, and redefine that tired old notion, offering a fresh view of a modern metropolis filled with, oui, romance — but also loneliness, heartache, grief, and (thankfully) humor. In the Coen brothers’ hilariously manic segment, Steve Buscemi gets roughed up by a hooligan while waiting for the subway. (”We like beating Steve up,” Joel Coen explains in a featurette. ”We’ve done it many times.”) Horror master Wes Craven sets his snapshot, fittingly, in the famous Père-Lachaise cemetery, populating it not with ghouls, but rather a bourgeois couple (Emily Mortimer, Rufus Sewell) bickering at Oscar Wilde’s grave. In a cheeky twist, director Alexander Payne plays the dapper ghost of Wilde. But Payne’s true shining moment is his own short, in which a solitary American tourist (Margo Martindale) experiences a spiritual awakening over a baguette sandwich. It’s the movie’s final chapter, and it’s simply brilliant. EXTRAS Each short has its own behind-the-scenes featurette — much of which is recycled in the doc ”At the Heart of Paris, Je T’Aime.” On this two-disc, so-called collector’s edition, that sure feels like a cheat. B+
Genre: Romance; Starring: Steve Buscemi, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Gaspard Ulliel, Natalie Portman, Elijah Wood; Director: Olivier Assayas, Frederic Auburtin, Emmanuel Benbihy, Gurinder Chadha, Sylvain Chomet, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Isabel Coixet, Wes Craven, Alfonso Cuaron, Gerard Depardieu, Richard LaGravenese, Vincenzo Natali, Alexander Payne, Bruno Podalydes, Walter Salles, Oliver Schmitz, Nobuhiro Suwa, Daniela Thomas, Tom Tykwer, Gus Van Sant; Author: Emmanuel Benbihy; Release Date Limited: 05/04/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Look
Posted November 9 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Black Panther vs. Winter Soldier in 'Captain America: Civil War' clip
- Beyonce postpones 'Formation' tour's Nashville concert stop
- 'The Martian' extended cut has 10 minutes of extra footage
- Woody Harrelson denied medical marijuana dispensary license: Report
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch