Why bother with DreamWorks’ attempt to milk a cash cow into dried beef jerky? In a word: visuals. Shrek the Third may be third-rate storytelling, but it’s state-of-the-art CGI, each frame a breathtakingly detailed slice of Maxfield Parrish-like wonderland. Even the EXTRAS favor craft over content: computer-rendering bloopers, deleted scenes in the form of videotaped writers’ meetings. (A click-through ”yearbook” of the film’s medieval high school has more laughs than the movie.) Solution: Buy the snappy alt-rock soundtrack and watch the DVD on mute. C+
Genre: Animation, Comedy; Starring: Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers, Antonio Banderas, Cameron Diaz; Director: Raman Hui, Chris Miller; Author: Jeffrey Price, Peter Seaman, Jon Zack; Release Date Wide: 05/18/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 93; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted November 9 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chris Hyndman, CBC talk show host, dies at 49
- ‘Wicked City’ producers say oral sex murder scene is ‘not violence porn’
- Final season of cult U.K. sitcom 'Peep Show' starts shooting
- Kelly Osbourne says she 'f---ed up' after comments about Latinos go viral
- See Ilana Glazer shake it like a Polaroid picture on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Tavi Gevinson to guest-star on 'Scream Queens'
- A$AP Rocky and Tyler, the Creator are touring together