Werner Herzog’s rousing true story, Rescue Dawn, about a pilot (Christian Bale) who engineered a daring escape from a Laos POW camp in the mid-’60s could be misconstrued as yet another mainstream actioner. Not surprisingly, the obsessive director has deeper pursuits, and he unspools themes of valor and loyalty with a spare beauty. EXTRAS include Herzog’s intimate commentary and a doc in which Bale and costar Steve Zahn recount eating maggots, running barefoot in the jungle, and swimming in snake-infested waters. The shoot ”was a blast,” Zahn assures us. B+
Starring: Christian Bale, Steve Zahn; Starring: Jeremy Davies; Director: Werner Herzog; Author: Werner Herzog; Release Date Limited: 07/04/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: MGM
Posted November 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Does Lincoln have a death wish?
- 'The Craft' remake is actually a sequel, producer says
- Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani will perform new duet on 'The Voice'
- Kendrick Lamar performs with Prince at Paisley Park in unearthed video
- Channing Tatum reveals dream costars in interview with nonverbal fan
- Arnold Schwarzenegger to star in Taran Killam-directed action comedy
- P!nk compares herself to Mad Hatter in 'Alice Through the Looking Glass'
- Met Gala 2016: The Best and Most Outrageous Looks
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast