Werner Herzog’s rousing true story, Rescue Dawn, about a pilot (Christian Bale) who engineered a daring escape from a Laos POW camp in the mid-’60s could be misconstrued as yet another mainstream actioner. Not surprisingly, the obsessive director has deeper pursuits, and he unspools themes of valor and loyalty with a spare beauty. EXTRAS include Herzog’s intimate commentary and a doc in which Bale and costar Steve Zahn recount eating maggots, running barefoot in the jungle, and swimming in snake-infested waters. The shoot ”was a blast,” Zahn assures us. B+
Starring: Christian Bale, Steve Zahn; Starring: Jeremy Davies; Director: Werner Herzog; Author: Werner Herzog; Release Date Limited: 07/04/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: MGM
Posted November 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Box office preview: 'Don't Breathe' stalks top spot
- Rory Culkin's life becomes a nightmare in trailer for 'Jack Goes Home'
- Denzel Washington circling lead role in Dan Gilroy's 'Inner City'
- Hear Florence + the Machine's 'Wish That You Were Here'
- Ann Coulter, Ralph Macchio added to Rob Lowe roast
- 'Days of Our Lives' star Kassie DePaiva reveals leukemia diagnosis
- Final Five gymnastics team will present at the VMAs