Werner Herzog’s rousing true story, Rescue Dawn, about a pilot (Christian Bale) who engineered a daring escape from a Laos POW camp in the mid-’60s could be misconstrued as yet another mainstream actioner. Not surprisingly, the obsessive director has deeper pursuits, and he unspools themes of valor and loyalty with a spare beauty. EXTRAS include Herzog’s intimate commentary and a doc in which Bale and costar Steve Zahn recount eating maggots, running barefoot in the jungle, and swimming in snake-infested waters. The shoot ”was a blast,” Zahn assures us. B+
Starring: Christian Bale, Steve Zahn; Starring: Jeremy Davies; Director: Werner Herzog; Author: Werner Herzog; Release Date Limited: 07/04/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: MGM
Posted November 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!