Freddie Highmore plays the title role in August Rush, a modern-day Oliver Twist with mystical musical abilities. Robin Williams (yes, I’m afraid so) plays a kind of Manhattan-based Fagin with a touch of Midnight Cowboy to his wardrobe. And ants will play havoc in any cynic’s pants as this loopy, goopy fairy tale about a kid looking for his parents oozes to its predictable finish. As August’s kin and airy artists themselves, Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers cast their eyes to heaven, saintlike, as they pretend to make music. D+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Freddie Highmore, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Keri Russell, Robin Williams; Director: Kirsten Sheridan; Author: Nick Castle, James V. Hart; Release Date Wide: 11/21/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted November 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Cara Delevingne addresses awkward interview
- 'Gritty' take on 'Little Women' in development at CW
- Mia Farrow criticized for tweeting business address of Cecil the lion's killer
- Diva Layla El retires from WWE
- Woody Allen says private life doesn't resonate in his films
- 'Law & Order' director arrested on child pornography charges
- 'Secret in Their Eyes' gets new release date
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!