Freddie Highmore plays the title role in August Rush, a modern-day Oliver Twist with mystical musical abilities. Robin Williams (yes, I’m afraid so) plays a kind of Manhattan-based Fagin with a touch of Midnight Cowboy to his wardrobe. And ants will play havoc in any cynic’s pants as this loopy, goopy fairy tale about a kid looking for his parents oozes to its predictable finish. As August’s kin and airy artists themselves, Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers cast their eyes to heaven, saintlike, as they pretend to make music. D+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Freddie Highmore, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Keri Russell, Robin Williams; Director: Kirsten Sheridan; Author: Nick Castle, James V. Hart; Release Date Wide: 11/21/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted November 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Steven Yeun on why Glenn has yet to kill another human on 'The Walking Dead'
- 'Creed,' 'Empire,' 'Black-ish' win big at NAACP Image Awards
- Ethan Hawke to play resurrected assassin in '24 Hours to Live'
- CBS orders medical drama pilot 'Sensory' from Ridley Scott, David Zabel
- The Originals: Julie Plec blogs the return of Josh
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss goes behind the scenes on Paul Wesley-directed episode
- What if movies ended when someone spoke the title?