More than any other children’s film, The Red Balloon turns me into a kid again whenever I see it. The timeless magic of Albert Lamorisse’s mostly wordless 34-minute 1956 fable, which is receiving a major rerelease (along with its good-if-not-quite-as-magical 1953 companion piece, White Mane), begins with the balloon itself, which looks like no other balloon you’ve ever seen. It’s so shiny and tactile, so luscious in its utter balloon-ness, that it’s like some wondrous spherical lollipop. In all the films set in the Paris streets, you have also never seen this light — this glowing painterly dawn that caresses the grayish buildings, as if it knew something they didn’t. As the balloon, with a mind of its own, follows Pascal, a towheaded schoolboy, making itself his companion — his spirit on a string — the film turns mischievous and almost primal in its innocence. More than ever, in this age of CGI, you think, How on earth did he do it? How did Albert Lamorisse get that balloon to ”walk” up and down streets, to hover outside windows, with no visible trickery? (You keep searching for a telltale thread?and not finding it.) That technical miracle is essential to the film’s effect, turning a ball of inflated latex into a true character. When it’s struck by a bully’s rock, the thing doesn’t merely shrivel — it damn near emotes. To see The Red Balloon is to laugh, and cry, at the impossible joy of being a child again. A
The Red BalloonMore than any other children's film, The Red Balloon turns me into a kid again whenever I see it. The timeless magic of Albert Lamorisse...The Red BalloonAlbert LamorissePT34MUnratedMore than any other children's film, The Red Balloon turns me into a kid again whenever I see it. The timeless magic of Albert Lamorisse...2007-11-21Janus Films
Starring: Pascal Lamorisse, Georges Sellier; Director: Albert Lamorisse; Author: Albert Lamorisse; Release Date Wide: 03/11/1957; Runtime (in minutes): 34; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Janus Films
Posted November 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jason Statham on Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson drama: 'I stay out' of it
- Chris O'Dowd to star in Epix's 'Get Shorty' TV series
- Streamy Awards announce 2016 nominations
- 'Lip Sync Battle' bringing back celebrity champs for first live special
- Explicit photos of Leslie Jones leaked after website hack
- Ryan Lochte in talks to join 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'Dirk Gently' teaser promises corpses, cops, and a killer
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...