We fell in love with John McClane because he was a regular Joe barely coping with irregular situations. His humanity kept us invested. But here, in film No. 4, Live Free or Die Hard, Bruce Willis’ successful bid to reignite the Die Hard franchise, McClane is superhuman — diving from speeding cars and riding bareback atop a jet with nothing but a limp to show for it, all in his pursuit of an anarchic tech maniac (Timothy Olyphant). Sure, the action is there — as detailed in a solid making-of doc and director Len Wiseman’s commentary on the two-disc edition. It’s the heart that’s missing. B
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Bruce Willis, Justin Long, Timothy Olyphant; Director: Len Wiseman; Author: Mark Bomback; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 128; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted November 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Human Centipede 3': What disgusting prop did the director take home?
- Joyce Carol Oates expands on PEN award protest following award for 'Charlie Hebdo'
- David Letterman's studio was thrown in the trash
- Joel McHale to host this year's ESPY Awards
- Universal reveals My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 release date
- Zedd shares his ultimate Memorial Day Weekend playlist
- 'Marshall Mathers LP' at 15: Revisit Eminem's best live performances
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!