We fell in love with John McClane because he was a regular Joe barely coping with irregular situations. His humanity kept us invested. But here, in film No. 4, Live Free or Die Hard, Bruce Willis’ successful bid to reignite the Die Hard franchise, McClane is superhuman — diving from speeding cars and riding bareback atop a jet with nothing but a limp to show for it, all in his pursuit of an anarchic tech maniac (Timothy Olyphant). Sure, the action is there — as detailed in a solid making-of doc and director Len Wiseman’s commentary on the two-disc edition. It’s the heart that’s missing. B
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Bruce Willis, Justin Long, Timothy Olyphant; Director: Len Wiseman; Author: Mark Bomback; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 128; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted November 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!