We fell in love with John McClane because he was a regular Joe barely coping with irregular situations. His humanity kept us invested. But here, in film No. 4, Live Free or Die Hard, Bruce Willis’ successful bid to reignite the Die Hard franchise, McClane is superhuman — diving from speeding cars and riding bareback atop a jet with nothing but a limp to show for it, all in his pursuit of an anarchic tech maniac (Timothy Olyphant). Sure, the action is there — as detailed in a solid making-of doc and director Len Wiseman’s commentary on the two-disc edition. It’s the heart that’s missing. B
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Bruce Willis, Justin Long, Timothy Olyphant; Director: Len Wiseman; Author: Mark Bomback; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 128; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted November 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock: A tribute to the humane spirit
- 'McFarland, USA' and the neutering of sports movies
- Leonard Nimoy: 9 'I Am Not Spock' TV roles
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?