We fell in love with John McClane because he was a regular Joe barely coping with irregular situations. His humanity kept us invested. But here, in film No. 4, Live Free or Die Hard, Bruce Willis’ successful bid to reignite the Die Hard franchise, McClane is superhuman — diving from speeding cars and riding bareback atop a jet with nothing but a limp to show for it, all in his pursuit of an anarchic tech maniac (Timothy Olyphant). Sure, the action is there — as detailed in a solid making-of doc and director Len Wiseman’s commentary on the two-disc edition. It’s the heart that’s missing. B
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Bruce Willis, Justin Long, Timothy Olyphant; Director: Len Wiseman; Author: Mark Bomback; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 128; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted November 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scandal' stars are back to work on season 6
- Eva Longoria dings Donald Trump at DNC: 'My father is not a rapist'
- 'Bachelorette': Wells gives 'spirited' episode recap on Snapchat
- Michelle Obama hits back at Donald Trump in powerful DNC speech
- Shannen Doherty shares breast cancer update after shaving head
- Paul Simon performs 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' at DNC
- Sarah Silverman to Bernie Sanders holdouts: 'You're being ridiculous'
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels