HBO Films is developing a movie about embattled baseball player Barry Bonds and has tapped director Ron Shelton (Bull Durham, Tin Cup, White Men Can’t Jump) to helm and pen the script with his Tin Cup writing partner John Norville, once the writers’ strike is over. HBO has acquired rights to Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO and the Steroids Scandal That Rocked Professional Sports, a book written by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, the San Francisco Chronicle reporters who broke stories about the nutrition company accused of distributing illegal steroids to marquis athletes, including the San Francisco Giants’ Bonds, the New York Yankees’ Jason Giambi, and Olympic gold medal sprinter Marion Jones. Bonds just ended a season in which he broke Hank Aaron’s all-time home run record of 755. He has since been indicted on federal charges for allegedly lying under oath when he told a grand jury he had never used performance-enhancing drugs. He will be arraigned next month. (Variety)
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Miguel announces release date for new album 'Wildheart'
- Jon Hamm takes lead in Tony Gilroy's 'High Wire Act'
- 'Big Bang Theory' finale: Is someone going to break up?
- Jason Clarke, Rosamund Pike to star in WWII drama
- Everything we know about 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Key & Peele imagine a world without racism in new sketch
- Hot Chocolate singer Errol Brown dies at age 71
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!