HBO Films is developing a movie about embattled baseball player Barry Bonds and has tapped director Ron Shelton (Bull Durham, Tin Cup, White Men Can’t Jump) to helm and pen the script with his Tin Cup writing partner John Norville, once the writers’ strike is over. HBO has acquired rights to Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO and the Steroids Scandal That Rocked Professional Sports, a book written by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, the San Francisco Chronicle reporters who broke stories about the nutrition company accused of distributing illegal steroids to marquis athletes, including the San Francisco Giants’ Bonds, the New York Yankees’ Jason Giambi, and Olympic gold medal sprinter Marion Jones. Bonds just ended a season in which he broke Hank Aaron’s all-time home run record of 755. He has since been indicted on federal charges for allegedly lying under oath when he told a grand jury he had never used performance-enhancing drugs. He will be arraigned next month. (Variety)
Posted December 1 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!