HBO Films is developing a movie about embattled baseball player Barry Bonds and has tapped director Ron Shelton (Bull Durham, Tin Cup, White Men Can’t Jump) to helm and pen the script with his Tin Cup writing partner John Norville, once the writers’ strike is over. HBO has acquired rights to Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO and the Steroids Scandal That Rocked Professional Sports, a book written by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, the San Francisco Chronicle reporters who broke stories about the nutrition company accused of distributing illegal steroids to marquis athletes, including the San Francisco Giants’ Bonds, the New York Yankees’ Jason Giambi, and Olympic gold medal sprinter Marion Jones. Bonds just ended a season in which he broke Hank Aaron’s all-time home run record of 755. He has since been indicted on federal charges for allegedly lying under oath when he told a grand jury he had never used performance-enhancing drugs. He will be arraigned next month. (Variety)
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized: Report
- David Duchovny on 'Late Show': 'X-Files' revival plans return of Walter Skinner and Smoking Man
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!