”My film is not about Vietnam, it is Vietnam,” said director Francis Ford Coppola in 1979 of Apocalypse Now. The production was a battle: Marlon Brando came to the Philippines set unprepared, Martin Sheen had a heart attack, and Ferdinand Marcos kept taking back the helicopters he’d loaned. Then there were the drugs. From amazing footage shot by Francis’ wife, Eleanor, Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse is a transfixing portrait of the price of artistic ambition. EXTRAS On a commentary, Francis cringes at his past bravado, but he’s rightfully proud of his triumph. A
Genre: Documentary; Guest Performer: Sam Bottoms, Marlon Brando, Eleanor Coppola, Francis Ford Coppola, Roman Coppola, Sofia Coppola, Robert De Niro, Robert Duvall, Laurence Fishburne, Harrison Ford, Frederic Forrest, Albert Hall, Dennis Hopper, George Lucas, John Milius, Martin Sheen, G.D. Spradlin; Director: Fax Bahr, Eleanor Coppola, George Hickenlooper; Author: Fax Bahr, George Hickenlooper; Release Date Wide: 10/12/1991; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Showtime Networks Inc.
Posted December 3 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters