”My film is not about Vietnam, it is Vietnam,” said director Francis Ford Coppola in 1979 of Apocalypse Now. The production was a battle: Marlon Brando came to the Philippines set unprepared, Martin Sheen had a heart attack, and Ferdinand Marcos kept taking back the helicopters he’d loaned. Then there were the drugs. From amazing footage shot by Francis’ wife, Eleanor, Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse is a transfixing portrait of the price of artistic ambition. EXTRAS On a commentary, Francis cringes at his past bravado, but he’s rightfully proud of his triumph. A
Genre: Documentary; Guest Performer: Sam Bottoms, Marlon Brando, Eleanor Coppola, Francis Ford Coppola, Roman Coppola, Sofia Coppola, Robert De Niro, Robert Duvall, Laurence Fishburne, Harrison Ford, Frederic Forrest, Albert Hall, Dennis Hopper, George Lucas, John Milius, Martin Sheen, G.D. Spradlin; Director: Fax Bahr, Eleanor Coppola, George Hickenlooper; Author: Fax Bahr, George Hickenlooper; Release Date Limited: 11/27/1991; Release Date Wide: 10/12/1991; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Showtime Networks Inc.
Posted December 3 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Valiant announces event series 'Summer of 4001 A.D.'
- Robert Downey Jr. cheers on 9-year-old Iron Boy as he saves Sydney
- 'Fuller House': Candace, Jodie, and Andrea on what’s changed 20 years later
- See the cover and an excerpt from Kristen Simmons' 'Metaltown' -- exclusive
- Lauren Cohan of 'The Walking Dead' to guest-star on 'The Mindy Project'
- 'Bajillion Dollar Propertie$' trailer: Adam Scott, Nick Kroll, and Paul F. Tompkins get realty
- 'The 100': Brenda Strong says Queen Nia is 'ambitious' and 'complex'
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs