Johnny Depp will star as notorious 1930s gangster John Dillinger in Universal’s Public Enemies. Michael Mann will direct from his own script., based on Bryan Burrough?s 2004 book of the same name. The drama is set in 1933-34, when the government?s attempts to stop Depression-era criminals like John Dillilnger, Baby Face Nelson, and Pretty Boy Floyd transformed J. Edgar Hoover?s FBI into the country?s first federal police force. Shooting is scheduled to start in Chicago on March 10. Mann was considering several projects, including a reunion with Tom Cruise (Collateral) on Edwin A. Salt at Columbia. He ultimately went with Public Enemies when Depp became available after Warner Bros. postponed Shantaram over costs and writers’ strike concerns. (Variety)
Posted December 7 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'SNL' announces Miley Cyrus will be musical guest for season premiere
- There is no new novel in Harper Lee's deposit box, despite rumors
- Whedon fave on 'Bloodsucking Bastards' (and why he wants to be killed by Thor)
- Syfy renews 'Dark Matter' and 'Killjoys' for second seasons
- David Lagercrantz reveals what it's like to take over the 'Dragon Tattoo' series
- Jimmy Fallon will interview Donald Trump on 'The Tonight Show'
- London Film Festival unveils full lineup
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!