Initially convincing as a doe-eyed billionaire with a bad ticker and a hot gal pal (Jessica Alba), Hayden Christensen ends up whining like Anakin Skywalker in voice-over when Awake’s high-concept conceit — involving anesthesia on the operating table that doesn’t fully kick in — has his character ridiculously narrating the film from beyond. Too bad, because until it essentially turns into a medical-thriller version of Look Who’s Talking, the movie hums along comfortably enough as slick B fare. A few of the twists even work — provided you haven’t seen the giveaway trailer. C+
Starring: Jessica Alba, Hayden Christensen, Terrence Howard; Release Date Wide: 11/30/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted December 10 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'