The old rap on Guy Ritchie (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) is that he makes the same film again and again, and Revolver starts out in that snazzy-crime vein, as an ex-con (Jason Statham) plots revenge against a well-dressed gambler (Ray Liotta). Then the movie butts up against the director’s newfound pretensions — pseudo-philosophical voice-over, psychobabble, faux-art-film plotting — and turns incomprehensible. Ironically, a few deft shoot-outs make you wish he’d just delivered another straight-on Guy Ritchie flick. C-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ray Liotta, Jason Statham, Andre Benjamin; Director: Guy Ritchie; Author: Luc Besson, Guy Ritchie; Release Date Limited: 12/07/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted December 10 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Frank Langella sets Broadway return in 'The Father'
- Ja Rule and 50 Cent reignite their years-long feud
- ABC boss defends polarizing 'Grey's Anatomy' death
- 'Halo Wars 2' and more news from Microsoft's Gamescom conference
- Donald Trump biography gets early release date due to 'heightened interest'
- Simon Kinberg describes the new 'Star Wars' brain trust
- Kermit and Piggy announce breakup at TCA