The old rap on Guy Ritchie (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) is that he makes the same film again and again, and Revolver starts out in that snazzy-crime vein, as an ex-con (Jason Statham) plots revenge against a well-dressed gambler (Ray Liotta). Then the movie butts up against the director’s newfound pretensions — pseudo-philosophical voice-over, psychobabble, faux-art-film plotting — and turns incomprehensible. Ironically, a few deft shoot-outs make you wish he’d just delivered another straight-on Guy Ritchie flick. C-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ray Liotta, Jason Statham, Andre Benjamin; Director: Guy Ritchie; Author: Luc Besson, Guy Ritchie; Release Date Limited: 12/07/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted December 10 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Les Misérables' director Tom Hooper to bring 'Cats' to the big screen
- 'Scandal' reveals presidential nominees
- Stream James Blake's new album now
- Julia Roberts to play Jacob Tremblay's mom in 'Wonder' adaptation
- Arsenio Hall sues Sinead O’Connor for $5 million over Prince drug claims
- Melissa Benoist joins Boston bombing movie 'Patriots Day'
- The Goo Goo Dolls talk not wanting to "make the same record again'