Yes, Rick Deckard is a replicant. Blade Runner director Ridley Scott finally ends the speculation over his android-hunting cop. ”If you don’t get it, you’re a moron,” he says in a new DVD extra. Whether you ”get it” may depend on which version of the 1982 futuristic noir you choose. There are five of them in this five-disc, briefcase-packaged Ultimate Collector’s Edition (take that, George Lucas!). While the latest ”Final Cut” version is not dramatically different from the 1992 Director’s Cut, it does correct several technical flaws, including continuity-defying scars, stunt doubles with bad wigs, and Roy Batty’s dove flying off into an inexplicably blue sky. The exhaustive documentary extras — almost eight hours’ worth — also set the record straight on a few counts, like the expository narration for dummies and the original’s happy-smiley ending, rumored to have been inserted by financial backers against Scott’s will. Not so, says the director: ”It was our idea. I am not stupid — I looked at [test-screening] results and said, ‘This ain’t working.”’ (Ford, for his part, hated the voice-over. You can even hear him complaining about it on unused session tapes.) So is the UCE an exercise in overkill? (There are two- and four-disc Final Cut editions as well.) Not really, considering how dramatically Blade changed the entire look and feel of sci-fi with its wet, smoky, dystopian vision of the future. And if, after sitting through it all, you still don’t ”get it,” unlike Mr. Scott I won’t call you names. A
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Harrison Ford, Daryl Hannah, Rutger Hauer, Edward James Olmos, Sean Young; Director: Ridley Scott; Producer (person): Ridley Scott; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted December 14 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!