Yes, Rick Deckard is a replicant. Blade Runner director Ridley Scott finally ends the speculation over his android-hunting cop. ”If you don’t get it, you’re a moron,” he says in a new DVD extra. Whether you ”get it” may depend on which version of the 1982 futuristic noir you choose. There are five of them in this five-disc, briefcase-packaged Ultimate Collector’s Edition (take that, George Lucas!). While the latest ”Final Cut” version is not dramatically different from the 1992 Director’s Cut, it does correct several technical flaws, including continuity-defying scars, stunt doubles with bad wigs, and Roy Batty’s dove flying off into an inexplicably blue sky. The exhaustive documentary extras — almost eight hours’ worth — also set the record straight on a few counts, like the expository narration for dummies and the original’s happy-smiley ending, rumored to have been inserted by financial backers against Scott’s will. Not so, says the director: ”It was our idea. I am not stupid — I looked at [test-screening] results and said, ‘This ain’t working.”’ (Ford, for his part, hated the voice-over. You can even hear him complaining about it on unused session tapes.) So is the UCE an exercise in overkill? (There are two- and four-disc Final Cut editions as well.) Not really, considering how dramatically Blade changed the entire look and feel of sci-fi with its wet, smoky, dystopian vision of the future. And if, after sitting through it all, you still don’t ”get it,” unlike Mr. Scott I won’t call you names. A
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Harrison Ford, Daryl Hannah, Rutger Hauer, Edward James Olmos, Sean Young; Director: Ridley Scott; Producer (person): Ridley Scott; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted December 14 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop