(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) - High School Musical producers Bill Borden and Barry Rosenbush are developing a new musical for MTV, The American Mall. Nina Dobrev (Canadian TV series Degrassi: The Next Generation) and Rob Mayes will lead an ensemble cast in the romantic comedy/drama, which will air on MTV next summer, followed immediately by a DVD release. The story, set in a mall, follows high school graduate Ally (Dobrev), a singer-songwriter battling to save her mother’s music store. Mayes will play the boy she loves, Joey, a musically-gifted janitor who fronts a garage band. Also cast are Autumn Reeser, who will play Ally’s mean-girl adversary Madison, as well as Wade Allain-Marcus, Bianca Collins, Rodney To, Neil Haskell, Brooke Lyons, David Baum, Blythe Auffarth, Yassmin Alers, Bresha Webb, Neil Haskell, and Al Sapienza. Shooting will start in late January at a mall in Utah. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted December 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Gabourey Sidibe to publish memoir: EW exclusive
- Ask the Critic: Can 'Mad Max' get a Best Picture nod and will the 'Conan' sequel be any good?
- Carly Rae Jepsen’s new track is an ‘emotional’ summer hit
- Marlon Wayans to write and star in 'Fifty Shades of Black'
- How Mariah Carey's awesome video for 'Infinity' came together
- Skylanders SuperChargers adds vehicles to the toys-to-life franchise
- 'Silicon Valley': Richard gets paranoid about security in faux blog post