(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) - High School Musical producers Bill Borden and Barry Rosenbush are developing a new musical for MTV, The American Mall. Nina Dobrev (Canadian TV series Degrassi: The Next Generation) and Rob Mayes will lead an ensemble cast in the romantic comedy/drama, which will air on MTV next summer, followed immediately by a DVD release. The story, set in a mall, follows high school graduate Ally (Dobrev), a singer-songwriter battling to save her mother’s music store. Mayes will play the boy she loves, Joey, a musically-gifted janitor who fronts a garage band. Also cast are Autumn Reeser, who will play Ally’s mean-girl adversary Madison, as well as Wade Allain-Marcus, Bianca Collins, Rodney To, Neil Haskell, Brooke Lyons, David Baum, Blythe Auffarth, Yassmin Alers, Bresha Webb, Neil Haskell, and Al Sapienza. Shooting will start in late January at a mall in Utah. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted December 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Taissa Farmiga and Nina Dobrev go back to camp in 'The Final Girls'
- A 'Dungeons & Dragons' film franchise is on its way
- 'Sleepy Hollow' trades Headless for a familiar face
- 'Spider-Man' writers say the new reboot won't be an origin story
- 'Rogue One' writer explains how he'd want to reboot 'Columbo'
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow says sequel could go global
- This week in 1995: Regrading the top 10 singles