(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Jennifer Hudson, Queen Latifah, and Sophie Okonedo (Hotel Rwanda) will star in Fox Searchlight’s movie adaptation of Sue Monk Kid’s best-selling 2002 novel The Secret Life of Bees. Dakota Fanning is in talks to star as the story’s 14-year-old girl who runs away from home and takes up with three eccentric beekeeping sisters. Hudson will play the girl’s caregiver, and only friend, who runs away with her. Latifah and Okonedo will play two of the sisters, and Alicia Keys is in talks to play the third. Gina Prince-Bythewood (Love & Basketball) will direct from her own script, which was finished before the writers’ strike. Shooting on Bees is scheduled to start in early January for release some time in 2008. Hudson is currently shooting the Sex in the City movie and has a role in the Columbia drama Winged Creatures, which also features Fanning. Latifah will next be seen in the Overture comedy Mad Money and the Fox ensemble comedy What Happens in Vegas. Okonedo’s upcoming projects include a role opposite Sam Neill in the indie Skin, and Fanning is currently shooting Summit’s supernatural thriller Push. Bythewood is also working on an adaptation of another best-seller, Wally Lamb’s I Know This Much Is True, for Fox 2000. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted December 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Watch Eric Church's poignant new music video for 'Record Year'
- The 10 most peak Drake lyrics on ‘Views'
- Silentó teases final 'Let's Dance' tour dates
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' features a cameo by Dazzler... and Taylor Swift?
- An oral history of 'The Wire' is coming in book form
- '12 Monkeys' sneak peek: Cole and Railly hunt Messengers in the past
- 'The O.C.': 5-minute oral history on the shocking season 2 finale