(FROM VARIETY) — Buoyed by huge returns for international blockbusters like Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 300, Spider Man 3, and Ratatouille, overseas box office hit a new high of $9.34 billion in 2007, a 9 percent rise from last year’s record take. With one weekend left before the start of 2008, the third installment in Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean franchise was the top foreign earner on the calendar, bringing in $651.6 mil in territories outside the U.S. and Canada; the fifth part of Warner Bros.’ Harry Potter series came in a close second, with $646.5 mil. For the first time ever, all six of Hollywood’s major studios crossed the billion-dollar mark internationally, with Warner Bros. (a division of EW.com parent company Time Warner) taking top honors with $2.15 billion in receipts. And it appears as if the studio’s I Am Legend will close out the year a big winner; Will Smith’s action thriller led the overseas box office last weekend, banking a strong $26.2 mil from 15 foreign countries. (Variety)
Posted January 1 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!