(FROM VARIETY) — Buoyed by huge returns for international blockbusters like Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 300, Spider Man 3, and Ratatouille, overseas box office hit a new high of $9.34 billion in 2007, a 9 percent rise from last year’s record take. With one weekend left before the start of 2008, the third installment in Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean franchise was the top foreign earner on the calendar, bringing in $651.6 mil in territories outside the U.S. and Canada; the fifth part of Warner Bros.’ Harry Potter series came in a close second, with $646.5 mil. For the first time ever, all six of Hollywood’s major studios crossed the billion-dollar mark internationally, with Warner Bros. (a division of EW.com parent company Time Warner) taking top honors with $2.15 billion in receipts. And it appears as if the studio’s I Am Legend will close out the year a big winner; Will Smith’s action thriller led the overseas box office last weekend, banking a strong $26.2 mil from 15 foreign countries. (Variety)
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- iHeart Radio Music Awards 2015: And the winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- 'Home' is where the weekend box office crown is: $54M debut
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!