(FROM BILLBOARD) ? Thom Yorke has responded to a report in last Friday’s (Dec. 28) Sunday Times that his band Radiohead demanded an exorbitant advance from EMI for their latest record, In Rainbows, before ultimately opting to not re-sign with the label. The Times report quoted an EMI spokesperson saying that the band’s demands would’ve resulted in a huge loss for the label that would have fallen to other bands to subsidize. Yorke responded earlier this week by saying, ”We did not ask for a load of cash from … EMI to re-sign. That is a lie.” Yorke claims the dispute actually revolved around the band’s demand that they own ”control over our work and how it was used in the future,” and that they decided not to re-sign when EMI refused. ”To be digging up such bulls—, or more politely airing [your] dirty laundry in public, seems a very strange way for the head of an international record label to be proceeding,” Yorke said of Guy Hands, owner of the private equity firm Terra Firma, which now runs EMI. In Rainbows was released as a digital download on the band’s website in October, allowing buyers to choose their own price. It was released as a CD this week via XL Recordings in the U.K. and TBD Recordings in the U.S. (<a href=”http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1...”” target=”_new” >Billboard)
Posted January 2 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- 'Last Tango in Paris' director admits butter rape scene wasn't consensual
- 'Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite' will pit Iron Man against Megaman X in 2017
- 6 show-stopping highlights from 'VH1 Divas: Unsilent Night'
- Twitter's #MakeABandLazy helps musicians settle in for a nap
- Elton John confirms there is 'no truth' to retirement rumors
- Powerful new ad spotlights gun violence warning signs people miss
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big