In Honeydripper, Danny Glover plays a debt-ridden music-lounge owner in 1950 rural Alabama, looking for his club’s big break; Gary Clark Jr. is the stranger who turns out to be an Ike Turner in the making with his newfangled electric guitar. True to his stolid, humanist instincts and characteristically stodgy directorial style, writer-director John Sayles creates a story more educational than engrossing. The large cast is admirable (including Charles S. Dutton and Stacy Keach), but the joint doesn’t so much jump as shuffle earnestly from foot to foot. C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Gary Clark Jr., Danny Glover, Lisa Gay Hamilton; Director: John Sayles; Author: John Sayles; Release Date Limited: 12/28/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Emerging Pictures
Posted January 9 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'