In Honeydripper, Danny Glover plays a debt-ridden music-lounge owner in 1950 rural Alabama, looking for his club’s big break; Gary Clark Jr. is the stranger who turns out to be an Ike Turner in the making with his newfangled electric guitar. True to his stolid, humanist instincts and characteristically stodgy directorial style, writer-director John Sayles creates a story more educational than engrossing. The large cast is admirable (including Charles S. Dutton and Stacy Keach), but the joint doesn’t so much jump as shuffle earnestly from foot to foot. C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Gary Clark Jr., Danny Glover, Lisa Gay Hamilton; Director: John Sayles; Author: John Sayles; Release Date Limited: 12/28/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Emerging Pictures
Posted January 9 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Andrew Lincoln tells you what is coming up next on 'The Walking Dead'
- See the Mountain from 'Game of Thrones' toss a keg 23 feet in the air
- Hear Beyoncé on Coldplay's new song
- 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer shatters Marvel viewing record
- See Skrillex's insane video for his remix of GTA's 'Red Lips'
- New Order releases statement about Peter Hook's lawsuit against band
- See the 'Fresh Off The Boat' cast invoke Ang Lee in Golden Globes plea