In Honeydripper, Danny Glover plays a debt-ridden music-lounge owner in 1950 rural Alabama, looking for his club’s big break; Gary Clark Jr. is the stranger who turns out to be an Ike Turner in the making with his newfangled electric guitar. True to his stolid, humanist instincts and characteristically stodgy directorial style, writer-director John Sayles creates a story more educational than engrossing. The large cast is admirable (including Charles S. Dutton and Stacy Keach), but the joint doesn’t so much jump as shuffle earnestly from foot to foot. C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Gary Clark Jr., Danny Glover, Lisa Gay Hamilton; Director: John Sayles; Author: John Sayles; Release Date Limited: 12/28/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Emerging Pictures
Posted January 9 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!