(FROM VARIETY) ? Kate Winslet is replacing Nicole Kidman as the female lead in the Weinstein Co. project The Reader. Kidman left the Stephen Daldry-directed drama on Monday, citing her pregnancy. She had not yet shot any scenes. The story is about a teen who falls for an enigmatic older woman in postwar Germany. Winslet was actually the first choice for the role when casting began, but she declined because of a scheduling conflict with Revolutionary Road (which reunites her with Titanic co-star Leonardo DiCaprio). But filming on Reader was delayed when production on Kidman’s project Australia went longer than expected, and by the time she pulled out of Reader, Winslet was available again. She joins a cast that includes Ralph Fiennes and German actor David Kross (Tough Enough). (Variety)
Posted January 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'This Is Us' casts 'Longmire' star Adam Bartley in recurring role
- 'Star Wars,' Beyoncé among most popular fandoms ever
- Emma Caulfield's TV Diary: Warming up to 'This Is Us'
- Are these the best opening title sequences of all time?
- Please watch Kevin Hart’s reaction to this cat
- 'The Leftovers' creators announce third and final season premiere month
- Erika Girardi defends 'RHOBH': 'It's not just a bunch of bitches'
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans